Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me where you went, who you went with (friends, family, fly fishermen.etc) what you fished for and where you ate.

I’ll start. It’s been a long time...8.5 yrs for me. I went on a DIY trip w the fly shop manager of my local shop Stephen Woodcock. A great and funny british guy and a couple of his friends. He set up the whole trip. We flew into Belize. Hopped on a pond jumper and flew to Cay Caulker. We rented a small house and a golf cart (the only transportation on the island) no vehicles. We basically circumnavigated the entire island daily for a week catching bones, barracuda a couple tarpon etc. We got groceries and cooked at home, ate at some little restaurants I would call food huts on the beach (great fresh local food) a guides house we had hired for some night time tarpon fishing let us eat w his family one eve at his house. It was a great experience. Had a guy on the beach cook us our catch on a grill. Had a great time and want to do more of these.
Where have you been what did you do?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Sure, Here are two:
Four of us flew into Cancun took our prearranged SUV rental down to Xcalak and stayed at Casa Paraiso for a week. We ate at different places almost each night like Costa de Cocos and Pesca Maya and others. Breakfast came with the hotel rate and was spectacular. We arranged guides through the Paraiso- caught all the bones we wanted and some 9 and 10 lb way back hiking and permit including over 25 lb. It was perfect and for about $1500 each- not bad
Also twice arranged on our own Exuma- stay at Peace and Plenty for 5 or 6 days- fish some on our own and also know guides and use a few- food where ever we want etc.- love it- and very economical- lots of big bones.

·
Registered
2019 Jackson Mayfly, 2018 Jackson Kilroy DT
427 Posts
Man, all of those sound incredible.

My buddies and I drag skiffs to the Keys trying to DIY for the last 6 years. We absolutely do not do well. Can't wait to go back.
That's great! Kinda sums it all up, sometimes it's the journey! Obviously sounds like you and your crew are having a blast

·
I Love microskiff.com!
88 Posts
buddy and I drove my camper to the Gaspe' peninsula in 2018 to fish for Atlantic salmon. Drew time on restricted water 3 out of 5 days, fished open water the other two. We fished from 6a.m. to 10p.m. every day, then ate freezed dried food in our waders before turning in, within earshot of the river. Had moose grunting some evenings while we were eating dinner. Coffee and granola bars before hitting the river. We saw lots of fish in crystal clear water, buddy hooked a single salmon on the first pass of the last day. Cost us each about $1500, fuel included, We will be going back...

·
Registered
427 Posts
buddy and I drove my camper to the Gaspe' peninsula in 2018 to fish for Atlantic salmon. Drew time on restricted water 3 out of 5 days, fished open water the other two. We fished from 6a.m. to 10p.m. every day, then ate freezed dried food in our waders before turning in, within earshot of the river. Had moose grunting some evenings while we were eating dinner. Coffee and granola bars before hitting the river. We saw lots of fish in crystal clear water, buddy hooked a single salmon on the first pass of the last day. Cost us each about $1500, fuel included, We will be going back...
Sounds like you guys have it dialed! Hooking 1 Salmon in 5 days on a fly rod (I assume) is about equal to hooking a Permit! I kinda did the same trip (Atlantic Salmon) in Nova Scotia several years ago (1 fish landed in a week), I'll remember that fish forever.

·
Registered
173 Posts
In grad school my buddy, brother and I drug a john boat to Islamorada. Stayed at the star of the sea and ate at the Hungry Tarpon every morning. I ate biscuits and gravy every day. I think we fished 4 days.

Day 1 we fished Rodriguez. Hooked a tarpon.
Day 2 we ran way out back and opened a crack between two rivets about 6 inches long. Ran over a huge school of bones. That run back from panhandle in small craft advisories and the navigation my buddy did with a water proof chart was masterful. Run to Ace for JB Weld for the crack and a shelf bracket to be the foot for the wood dowel push pole we were using. Found tailers that evening.
Day 3 Long Key and saw the biggest bonefish I've still ever seen. Caught some huge cuda and a double header. Tailers were still out back and we broke one off.
Day 4 the crack was opened back up and we fished out back and had to crank up every 30 minutes to pull the plug and drain the boat. Push pole got stuck and I jumped in to get it with a giant shark near by. Then saw the biggest damn permit that tailed in 4 feet of water. I know how deep it was because that's where the pole for stuck. Hooked a permit that afternoon during the last hour that fried the reel we didn't catch him.

Drove back to Tampa that night. There were some other details like my brother getting sun poisoning because he was on acutane and it made him really suspectable to the sun. I think he went to the Dr but we went fishing.

That john leaked like crazy after that trip but we patched it with an aluminum plate and drilled the rivets out and replaced them and 5200-ed them. It was a great boat after that.

·
Registered
173 Posts
About 5 years after the trip above the same buddy and I bought a used Silver King and pulled it to Flamingo. It was March and if course the first night a cold front came in and blew the water out and cooled it off. This was when the lodge was still there so we stayed and ate at the lodge.

We fished snake bight, the flats out front the first day but it was unfishable the next couple days because of the wind. So we fished the back the next couple days and caught some snook. We never made it to Hell's Bay because we didn't have a GPS up to the task and had never been there.

My buddy fell off the platform in the back in about a foot of water. He was covered in mud. It was so bad that it was in his underwear and he had to take them off because the smell was so bad.

We did fish the mouth of shark and some creeks and caught some snook.

The last day we went back out front and found a bunch of fish grouped up. We watched all the guys running up from Islamorada pass by us which way cool.

·
Registered
Jake Lastinger
38 Posts

I spent a long summer living in Southern Colorado (rio grande National Forrest) right after college. Man what a time.. worked Maintanence at a small ranch/resort for a few bucks an hour, & fished like my hair was on fire every second I wasn’t working or sleeping. Made a few great friends that i still keep in touch with regularly & lost count of the trout that I fooled into sipping a dry fly. That was a 5 month DIY trip that I still day dream about regularly, especially while sitting in my office 😂

·
Registered
24 Posts
My teenage son and I have done multiple DIY fly fishing trips to NC over the past couple of years. Sometimes it’s nice to leave the boat behind and wade in a cold stream instead. We had two great trips to Cherokee and Brevard, fishing both private and public waters. We opted to fish unguided on both trips and still caught our share of Rainbows.

In Brevard, we spent one morning tying flys at Davidson River Outfitters and then caught some beautiful fish the next day on their private water. The majority of our fishing was done on public streams with recommendations from the local fly shops. We brought our mountain bikes with us and on our “off days” we hit the trails.

We took our camper on both trips and cooked on the grill each night. For some reason, dinners always taste better when you’re camping. To add some variety, we hit the local BBQ joints and Waffle Houses when we weren’t packing a stream side lunch. We just recently decided to sell the camper and I’m sure we are going to miss it. But, we still have a flats skiff and I’m pretty sure there are some tents in the garage somewhere...

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,422 Posts
Me and 2 friends went to Alaska 3 times on diy. Fly fishing only. We stayed in a cabin on the Iliamna River. Then we stayed in the town of Nondalton on lake Clark and fish the Tazimna River. We targeted Leopard RainBows, Char and Grayling
Then there’s the Tarpon trip with a non fly fisher :mad:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Me and 2 friends went to Alaska 3 times on diy. Fly fishing only. We stayed in a cabin on the Iliamna River. Then we stayed in the town of Nondalton on lake Clark and fish the Tazimna River. We targeted Leopard RainBows, Char and Grayling
Then there’s the Tarpon trip with a non fly fisher :mad:
I think that we'd all be interested in hearing about that Tarpon trip?😉

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,422 Posts
I think that we'd all be interested in hearing about that Tarpon trip?😉
Couldn't find a fly fished to got so I took my friend the bait chunker. Went to Carabelle, posted up on Turkey Point, guide was 200 yrs below me. After a while here come the guide telling me I'm in his string to go below him. So I apologized and went below him. The water was dingy so seeing fish was hard. The only thing I could do was cast to where I thought the poons where coming from as I was casting my friend had a 2' black lure on and was chunking it up where I was casting. As I was stripping the line in and picked it up I saw a Tarpon following it. Latter I saw a 200 lb. Fish go under my boat

·
Registered
427 Posts
Couldn't find a fly fished to got so I took my friend the bait chunker. Went to Carabelle, posted up on Turkey Point, guide was 200 yrs below me. After a while here come the guide telling me I'm in his string to go below him. So I apologized and went below him. The water was dingy so seeing fish was hard. The only thing I could do was cast to where I thought the poons where coming from as I was casting my friend had a 2' black lure on and was chunking it up where I was casting. As I was stripping the line in and picked it up I saw a Tarpon following it. Latter I saw a 200 lb. Fish go under my boat
That's not bad! I thought there'd be more drama?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,231 Posts
Spent a week in Banff and Jasper last summer...kept a rod handy anywhere we could pull off and take a few shots...

Got 'er done...wild brookie...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts