Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, another thread on this. I figured I'd log how I made mine for under $35.

Pinch-A-Penny sells a tall bucket for soaking filters. It was $16.99
25 inches tall, 13 inches wide. I was skeptical at first, it is cheap. I dont know how it will hold up long term from the sun. But I think it will hold up pretty good for the price AND its readily available if you have a Pinch-A-Penny near by. I had 3 in a 15 miles radius.

Academy had a Speedo brand dense foam float to assist in swimming. Picked it up in clearance for $6. It's the same type of foam cheap flip-flops are made out of. I use the same foam to make poppers of all different sizes. Fingernail polish and some eyes make some killer poppers out of this stuff... Definitely worth the $6 I found this for. I'll post one of my flies from this foam.

Wal-mart had a 5lb weight for $5 and a pack of cheap flemsy plastic paint brushes (30 count) for $1.25

All of these stores are on the same corner by my house. You can see the other two from the front door of one.

Total time including clean-up was about 30 minutes.

I cut 10 brushes down. These are flemsy and wont break. They can bend easily which makes them perfect for this application.

I drilled extra holes in the foam and multiple holes in the bottom of the bucket for drainage.

I also made an instructable about it. Figure if this thread was easy to find, future posts would be better solved by a detailed HowTo guide on this topic.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I make a jig using different brass bullet shells and a bolt. I locked the jig into a drill to punch out holes in the dense foam. You can see holes in the photos of the purple foam in the original post. It also works well with flip-flops. Then simply paint the foam plugs with fingernail polish. My co-worker brought in a giant box filled with girls make-up to get rid of it. Everyone looked at me like I was crazy when I was collecting all of the small scissors, finger nail polishes, and clear coats. I saved close to 30 bottles and 4 small scissors that were still razor sharp. Score!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts