Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it better to have a motor serviced by factory techs rather than do it yourself?

I ask because I was quoted ~500 to have my new to me motor (06 Yamaha 4 stroke) serviced (all fluids and filters PLUS new water pump, etc).

I have a background in turning wrenches both from Uncle Sam and various other jobs/growing up working in tractors and cars. I priced out all parts needed and have most if not all of the tools in my garage to do the work myself.

Is it better to tackle it myself? It’s saving me a pile of $ the DIY method...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
378 Posts
You’d be silly not to, there’s nothing in that list that someone with basic mechanical skills can’t do. Wouldn’t be a bad idea to watch a video of the water pump replacement, you might just need an impeller.
JC

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1820 Action Craft
918 Posts
It is simple to do and you will save a lot of money over the long run. Honestly, you will probably do a better job than a lot of mechanics because they are trying to get it done fast. Save receipts for your maintenance supplies in case you need warranty work.

·
Registered
226 Posts
One more vote for DIY. I did the water pump/impeller myself last year on my old boat Maverick Master Angler with a 130 Yamaha 2 stroke. Took me 2 hours taking my time to make sure I did everything exactly right. It was super easy and now knowing how to do it, would never pay a shops hourly fee to have it done again.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
As long as you are not voiding any kind of manufacturers warranty, go for it. Being an '06 model, you're good, but for others reading this, be careful not void any warranties by DIY.

If it was rocket science, there wouldn't be many folks doing this stuff.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
378 Posts
Does it need a timing belt?
Unless there’s there’s documentation of a T-belt change it would be a good idea to change it, losing a T-belt is a disaster, age of the belt is as much a factor as hours on the motor.
JC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts