Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,489 Posts
My leaders are 50 butt, 40,30, tippet. I use mono tippet (Ande) for leaders if I want it to float. If I want the fly to sink I use floro

·
Registered
263 Posts
Tell more about the “shooting head line”.
A shooting head line has a shorter but heavier head than a typical weight forward head. Both are floating lines. The advantage is that for the same weight of line outside the rod tip, less line needs to be aired out outside the rod tip. Disadvantages to shooting head fly lines are that they aren't quite as stealthy and you can't carry as much line in the air if you needed to.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I do the same recipe and it works great as well.
@RJTaylor
@Poon.Patrol

What weight rod are you using for that setup?
Loop to loop or direct tied?
Do either of those (Rod wt and connection) matter to you?

I'll likely pick up some 40 hard this weekend.

·
Registered
2004 Hells Bay Marquesa
30 Posts
@RJTaylor
@Poon.Patrol

What weight rod are you using for that setup?
Loop to loop or direct tied?
Do either of those (Rod wt and connection) matter to you?

I'll likely pick up some 40 hard this weekend.
I use it mainly on my inshore set ups 7wt/8wt. I don't really have any issues with the loop to loop connection. I try to keep the same brand leader material and focus more so on the diameter of the lines rather than the lb strength for the taper. I used to always blame my leader for not unraveling straight but honestly it was my casting. No tailing loops and generate enough line speed and send it out there. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
66 Posts
For your 6wt- 7FT of 40lb to 3 1/2 feet of 20
For the 9wt- 7FT of 50lb and 3 1/2 feet of 30

I use ANDE mono 99% of the time just because its readily available and affordable. If you're fishing spooky fish with the 6 and 20 seems like too much, just splice on another couple of feet of something smaller. Don't think too hard. They're just fish after all.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
For your 6wt- 7FT of 40lb to 3 1/2 feet of 20
For the 9wt- 7FT of 50lb and 3 1/2 feet of 30

I use ANDE mono 99% of the time just because its readily available and affordable. If you're fishing spooky fish with the 6 and 20 seems like too much, just splice on another couple of feet of something smaller. Don't think too hard. They're just fish after all.
@CAPTAlexMoran
Thanks Capt.
Regular Ande fishing line or Ande leader material?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1820 Action Craft
913 Posts
@Miles813
I know of Masons "hard mono" but is all mono that is specified as "leader material" considered hard mono?
Are you making all sections from hard mono or just the butt?
I tried using the hard mono and just did not like. I use the same type leader material (Ande) in the Butt, Mid, and Tippet section, bite is often Fluorocarbon. Different manufactures have different diameter lines for the same pound test line so I don't mix them when building a leader.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I tried using the hard mono and just did not like. I use the same type leader material (Ande) in the Butt, Mid, and Tippet section, bite is often Fluorocarbon. Different manufactures have different diameter lines for the same pound test line so I don't mix them when building a leader.
I like Ande as well for my all my leader material except I use SA flouro for my tippet.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I use the leader material. It's going to help transfer that energy over much better, and I find it easier to tie with. That's just my two cents though.
Thanks for all the help Capt Alex.
I picked up a roll of Ande 40 leader and Masons 25 (both around .023).
I'll give the new leader set up a try this weekend.

·
Registered
384 Posts
A shooting head line has a shorter but heavier head than a typical weight forward head. Both are floating lines. The advantage is that for the same weight of line outside the rod tip, less line needs to be aired out outside the rod tip. Disadvantages to shooting head fly lines are that they aren't quite as stealthy and you can't carry as much line in the air if you needed to.
Yes, I was asking for clarification from the OP. In the old days, and still for some of us, a shooting head was usually a section of sinking line attached to a shooting line of mono or braided mono. Of course there were floating shooting heads too, but not as common.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,488 Posts
The leader attached to the fly line is an extension of the fly line. So the butt section should match the density of the fly line. The fly can be tied to the butt section(mono or flouro) (floating or sinking) Any extension of the butt should be designed for the fly, water clarity, stealth, or species. I like all flouro to help lighter flies sink faster no matter the species or conditions. Lighter flies are also less complicated to cast. The only exception to flouro is small floating flies, then use small mono.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Cliff notes:

Butt = 5 feet of 40-pound
Mid = 3 feet (about 2 feet of 30-pound and 1 foot of
20-pound)
Tippet = 2 feet of 16-pound

I've been using this leader formula on my 6 and 8wts and it's worked well. I tie a perfection loop at the end of the 20lb so I can have a loop to loop for the tippet.

I saw a leader that was straight 50 tied to 20 though that worked surprisingly well though.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts