DIY Poling Platform Qestions.

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by snookslayer7726, Mar 23, 2009.

1. snookslayer7726

snookslayer7726 I Love microskiff.com!

I pick up my gheenoe on Thursday from a guy on craigslist. $200 for a perfect 13' sounds like a deal to me. Anyways, I have the ability to cut bend and weld STEEL. I can cut and bend, but not weld aluminum. Is there a suitable finish other than Powder $$ Coat that will protect the steel? I'v used rustoleoum and POR15 on car frames, but nothing that was 100% dedicated to the salt. My other option is to pay someone to weld up my prefitted aluminum pieces. How much does this run? Do they charge per-weld, or by the hour? Any info would be awesome!

2. Un-shore

Un-shore Well-Known Member

Hi, and welcome! Where are you located?

3. mark_gardner

mark_gardner I Love microskiff.com!

personally i wouldnt use steel, it heavier and will evenually rust regardless of how you coat it. several years ago i made a few homemade p platforms for a few boats that i had and i used 1 1/2" sq. aluminum tubeing and cut and fabbed it up myself in the garage then took it to a local welder who charged me around $50.00 to weld it. for jobs like that they will usually only charge you an hourly rate and it couldnt take more than an hour to weld up a basic little p. platform for a rig like yours. for the deck i just used a piece of marine plywood cut to fit and painted it the same color as the boat
    p.s. the sq. aluminum tubeing i bought came from an aluminum supplier in town.

4. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

I found myself in the same predicament as you. I myself am a metal fabricator (as well as auto painter), but I only have the supplies to weld steel. I went over to the local steel supplier that I usually buy steel from and asked prices on aluminum. The 1 and a quarter aluminum tubing is about $32 for a 20 foot pipe, and 1x1 aluminum box tubing is about $17 for the 20 foot pipe. I had posted on a local automotive forum asking if anyone welded aluminum. I had a guy reply who used to work at a boat place specifically welding up platforms. He told me he would charge me $35 if it's something basic, and up to $50 if it was complicated. I told him don't worry about it that I'll give him the $50 anyway. I figure I'll spend about $150 on materials and welding to make both my poling platform and casting platform. Then I'll either have them powder coated, or polish them and clear them with POR-15 aluminum protector.

5. flaco

flaco Well-Known Member

I had one made for my skiff by a local guy (Tampa Area) for a verrrry reasonable price (in my opinion).
    He made it to my specs, and installed it. If you may be interested, PM or email me, and I'll dig up his number.

[​IMG]

He made the little TM mount too...

6. snookslayer7726

snookslayer7726 I Love microskiff.com!

Thanks for the quick replys quys....My budget is hovering around zero right now, so I will probobly fab my own and have it welded, then use the POR 15 option.