DIY in Cocodire, LA

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Tilly_Copano, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Tilly_Copano

Tilly_Copano Active Member

Thinking about taking a my first Louisiana trip this Fall. I would like to go out of Cocodire but am open to anyone's suggestions. We would take a guide the first day and then DIY the rest of the trip. Am I crazy thinking I can DIY after one day with a guide? I have been all over google earth and the area looks like a maze. I am running a HPX-T and have a GPS, so I am not to worried about getting lost, more worried about the hazards in the water. How hard is it to find fish? What I have read its harder to find clear water than the fish.

2. Rick hambric

Rick hambric Well-Known Member

Hard to find fish?? No. It’s easy over there. Look for good current area and feeder creeks. I strongly advise taking a 10wt with you. There’s some monster fire trucks over there.

3. GullsGoneWild

GullsGoneWild I Love microskiff.com!

Coco is a blast. The restaurants are sub par at best. When in doubt, eat fried shrimp. We have always DIY'd there so you shouldn't have any issues. As far as running, I don't think there is much to watch out for. If you stick to the channels you will be fine. If you look at the map, you'll see several main channels that will get you into a general vicinity before you need to cross the smaller bays and lakes. Cell service is good to Caillou lake and to the beach. Not sure where you are staying but launch at the Coco marina and not the marina on the ditch. There is one fairly shallow spot at the entrance to the channel in front of Deep Saline. There is a gas platform there, give it plenty of room and don't let off the gas!

You are spot on about the clean water. It seems like ever time we schedule a trip we have 1 good day and the other days we are just searching for clean water. When the water is muddy in the marsh we like to head further south towards the beach. Or look for a pond with only one entrance/exit. Finding fish is easy, they are located on just about every point

jmrodandgun likes this.
  4. jmrodandgun

jmrodandgun Well-Known Member

When are you going? Cocodrie can be a headache during duck season. Study the GIS map of the area, you can overlay some information to give you an idea of where you can fish worry free and where you need to keep your head on a swivel. If you don't mind running a little ways you won't have too much of an issue. The fishing is good all year. Navigation is pretty average for Louisiana. The food in coco is hot garbage but the VRBO opportunities are pretty good, so get yourself a nice place and keep a few fish each day for the grill.

Enjoy your trip! If you have any specific questions just PM and I'll try my best to answer them.

ps. leave the 10wt at home ;)

GullsGoneWild likes this.
  5. Tilly_Copano

Thinking about going around the last weekend in October or early November, how does the duck hunting effect the fishing? I deal with duck hunters in Texas but most are out of the water by 9, not really a problem just respect their space.

About the GIS mapping is this to determine the private vs. public water? I have read about this a little bit but here in Texas as long as you are in the boat you are not trespassing, is this not the case in LA?

6. Tilly_Copano

Just looked on the GIS mapping and there are a bunch of oysters leases and a DHH classification line that runs the entire coast line, are you not supposed to fish the oyster leases or cross the DHH line? It would be damn near impossible to not fish the oyster leases? Is this area an entire oyster reef?

7. jmrodandgun

No. Not even close. A vast majority of the tidal marsh, water included, is private and subject to trespassing laws. Land owners are not required by law to post their property, so in reality there really isn't any way to know if you're trespassing or not.

Please don't let this discourage you from fishing, it's workable if you take a few minutes to look at a map.

So it's going to look something like this. Anything that's not shaded blue, green, or tan is privately owned. This does not mean you will be ticketed. In fact, I fish the area a bunch and I've only been chased out, never arrested. The most likely outcome will be you go fishing and you have no issues but during duck season things can get weird. We have a hierarchy of sportsmen here in Louisiana and the duck dynasty fans are at the top. They lease most of the marsh and in their mind they only get 60 days to do their thing. The saltier the water, the less of an issue you will have.

[​IMG]

commtrd and Rick hambric like this.
  8. GullsGoneWild

The further from the ramp you go the less chance of bumping into someone or being chased out. Our runs are typically 30 minutes or longer-one way.

jmrodandgun likes this.
  9. GullsGoneWild

hot garbage! haha that's pretty damn accurate! My first year there I ordered a chicken sandwich and got chicken nuggets on a bun. We now bring our own stuff and cook in the parking lot.

Rick hambric likes this.
  10. jmrodandgun

This is a much better explanation than mine.

Rick hambric likes this.
  11. TidewateR

TidewateR will pole for food

I would definitely hit up Sportsman's Paradise for breakfast. Mrs. Connie will take good care of you and will also set you up with a lunch to go. Not sure where other people are eating down there, but I've never had a bad experience at Sportsmans. Mrs. Connie has been featured on several local fishing and cooking shows.

Your biggest challenge will be finding and staying on clear water. As a whole, the area has a much softer bottom than other marsh and as a result, the water gets stirred up easily with the tide and wind. You just have to bounce around and fish the pockets. I do best on days with less tidal flow. As far as hazards go, the area is also more of challenge to navigate than other areas, but I find it ranks somewhere in the middle on the "oh shit" scale. Last year a buddy and I hit a stump in his waterman and cracked his transom heading to the outside marsh. Markers sometimes mark the channel, sometimes they mark hazards! There's little rhyme or reason to the location of hazards like shallow water, shell, pips, stumps and crab traps. You just have to hold your breath and go for it.

good luck.

12. texasag07

texasag07 I Love microskiff.com!

Tidewater speaks the truth.

Don't just expect that going to LA is going to mean you are going to find insane fishin(that certain guides portray) everywhere you look. It can be really good, once you know what to look for, but a lot of times it can be a lot of work finding the water and fish.
    Just takes some time and good weather.

Good luck.

GullsGoneWild likes this.
  13. MariettaMike

MariettaMike Wish'n I was Fish'n!

Its not crazy at all if you state your intentions to find the right guide.

Tell the guide that you're coming from Texas with your own boat for a week and want to learn the area. Maybe don't even fish, but ride around the major waterways, learn the tides, which tidal station(s) to use, how to find clear water, review bait and rigging techniques, learn what to look for to find fish on your own.

sjrobin likes this.
  14. sjrobin

sjrobin I Love microskiff.com!

Worth the $$ for first time water in La

15. fjmaverick

fjmaverick Well-Known Member

The pictures I see from my friends camp down there show tons of sea trout and redfish

16. ifsteve

ifsteve Well-Known Member

IF you book a guide for the first day make it explicitly clear that you will be fishing the rest of the week in your own boat. Some guides are fine with that but most of them will pass on that (and its hard to blame them).

17. TidewateR

TidewateR will pole for food

Esp the local guides in that area who are already sick of all the out of state boats. Might be able to hire some of those texans who winter over here. They probably won’t care.

ifsteve and sjrobin like this.
  18. Steve_Mevers

Steve_Mevers I Love microskiff.com!

Following, thinking about the same trip.

19. Steve_Mevers

Steve_Mevers I Love microskiff.com!

A little off topic. I was planning on doing a trip to LA this fall, but it is looking like it maybe February, will the big redfish still be in the marsh that time of year?

20. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

What’s the problem with out of state boats? They can kiss my white ass if they don’t like me trailering my boat from Texas to fish over there for a day or two. I promise I won’t be showing back up to the dock with a pile of fish knee deep for a Facebook hero shot so what’s the problem?