Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have secured a nice crepe myrtle fork as a foot for a push pole. And I have a nice 14' length of a 1 1/8" wooden pole. Not sure what kind of wood it is but am planning to cut it to a proper length for my 17' Grumman square stern. So does anyone have a suggestion as to how to join the two. Thanks.

G

·
Mill the ends so they match and epoxy together. Then slip a short length of fiberglass biaxial sleeve over the joint and epoxy. Will be plenty strong. You could use carbon fiber sleeve as well.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Years and years ago when we all used natural wood forks (guava, mangrove, etc..) we mated them to fiberglass pushpoles (that were actually designed to be "hot sticks" for working with high power electrical cables...). You baked out the natural wood fork in an oven (at least that was my routine...) after peeling the bark off of it - then shimmed the end going into the pushpole with masking tape to fit - then epoxied it into place... Once the fork was solidly glued into place we'd then either varnish the bare wood fork or coat it with fiberglass resin to waterproof it...

If your pole has a big enough diameter - and your fork has a small enough end... you could simply drill out the end of your wooden dowel to accept the mating end of your fork - but after epoxying it into place you have to reinforce the pole end with some kind of a wrapping since the thin walls of the "socket" wouldn't hold up without some reinforcing.

An alternative with a wood dowel is simply to do without the natural wood fork and cut out a small triangle of wood from 2x4 or 2x6 the drill out an opening in the top end of the triangle to accept the end of the dowel and epoxy it into place... Get a look at Moonlighter forks http://www.moonlighterpushpoles.com/fiberglass.php
to see what I'm referring to...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I happen to have a short piece of Stiffy Hybrid that would work. For some reason I am stuck on using the natural wood fork. I may try a long splice and epoxy. Perhaps I am just a romantic piddler. The same reason I don't fish with a fly that I didn't tie ( or a close friend didn't).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts