Divinycell scored foam

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by Carivera, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Carivera

Carivera Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any experience with the divinycell scored foam? Using it to avoid having to put in a false floor, and follow the curvature of my skiff, while creating strength. Should I put a layer of chopped strand below it? Should I do a layer of chopped strand and 1708 below it? what about on top? Any help would be grateful.

2. Carivera

Some has to have an idea.

3. MooreMiller

MooreMiller Well-Known Member

Most of the builders I've seen us some kind of bonding putty between the raw glass and the foam. Then they pull the foam down hard against the fiberglass with a vacuum bag or weights.

Then after the foam is bonded you lay down a layer of fiberglass on top of the foam. If using 1708, lay the mat side against the foam.

The way foam core adds stiffness to a skiff is by separating two layers of fiberglass. Try to bend a piece of cardboard. Now, flatten the cardboard into a paper thin sheet. It is now a lot easier to bend.

Hopefully that gives ya something to ponder while you wait for a better answer!

Carivera likes this.
  4. yobata

yobata I Love microskiff.com!

Carivera likes this.
  5. Carivera

Thank you guys.

6. trekker

trekker Well-Known Member

I just use thickened epoxy for the initial bond. Seems to work fine.

Carivera likes this.
  7. Carivera

@yobata that stuff is ridiculously priced, I think I am going to try the thickened epoxy and hope that is sufficient.

yobata likes this.