Disney World - What's your take?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by kbuch312, Feb 7, 2009.

1. kbuch312

kbuch312 Well-Known Member

I am an admitted lurker to this microskiff site, but do fish from a 16 Smitty Skiff, and love shallow site fishing.

As I sit here, late at night, recovering from a brutal day at the Animal Kingdom with my wife and four kids under age of 9, I am just curious what the central Florida opinion is of the Disney machine and what it has done to this area and for this area.

If you have some thoughts, I would love to know them.

Tuesday will come soon enough, and I will recover from Too Much Disney Syndrome, and my next vacation will involve fishing. Very simple.

Tight lines,
    Kevin

2. HighSide25

HighSide25 Well-Known Member

hahaha..... ever heard of rodney carrington? hes a comedian. look him up, he has a skit on going to disney for vaca. very funny bc its about the truth

on itunes, rodney carrington, Rodney's wife and kids, marriage, vacations.

3. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

The best thing about Disney World...
    is seeing it in the rearview mirror!

:cool:

4. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

Taking my son in 2 weeks.. oh how I can't wait. ::)

5. orlgheenoer

orlgheenoer Well-Known Member

I like to go to disney for Dinner every now and then with my neighbor because he can sign us in but, other then that I avoid the parks and all of the chaos they provoke.

6. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

7. Flyline

Flyline Won &quot;Do More With Less&quot; Award!

I miss Epcot :-/

8. Unclebob

Unclebob Well-Known Member

We dropped nearly $3K last year on a quickie budget 3-day Disney Trip last year. We couldda went to the Keys for that. :mad:

Oh well. The wife is going again next month because of that 'Free Admission on your Birthday' deal they have. I bet she still drops $500 or so.

I enjoyed Epcot more than the Magic Kingdom. I told the wife that's a 'Once every 10 years' vacation. It just isn't worth the coin, to me.

9. B.Lee

B.Lee Well-Known Member

For me, the whole Disney thing would be very fun were it not for the people!  Anyone who has been to any type of theme park knows what I am talking about.  If you don't know, then you are that person yourself.  

Standing in line for an hour for a 6 minutes ride is ridiculous on its face, but to each his own.

Your questions was about how it affects FL in general.  It brings a ton of tourist dollars to an area that was previously an agricultural area.  It brings with those dollars lots of free loaders, weirdos who forget to leave, and pollution in general.  

Were Disney not here, I would still be here, I was born and raised in FL, as was my dad and his dad.  If they closed the doors tomorrow I wouldn't miss it.  

I avoid Orlando like the plague.  In fact, I had the good fortune last night of having to meet family in Orlando for a birthday dinner, followed by a "quick stop" at the Florida Mall.  Holy cow, what a circus that place is.  It should be no wonder we as a country are on hard times with clowns like that running around loose, much less voting.

Damn, I sound more like my dad everyday! :)

10. kbuch312

kbuch312 Well-Known Member

B Lee, Your comments were my suspicions. Simply put, it has changed the face of Florida and not in a good way.

Day 6 of 7 is over. It came close to a Technicolor Nightmare at the Magic Kingdom. The more I sit and ponder, the more duped I feel for being a participant. My kids are getting a great vacation what little they know. I on the other hand, am surviving at best. It will be over on Tuesday.

As for any Floridians with B Lee sentiments about the Disney effect, I apologize for contributing.

11. B.Lee

B.Lee Well-Known Member

Please don't appologize, it is a great experience if you've never done it, especially for the kids, they should be loving it! It will go on whether you are there or not, you enjoying it doesn't prolong it or sustain it.

Enjoy your visit to FL, next time come see the real FL!

12. skinny_water

skinny_water Well-Known Member

x2, visit the part that didn't vote Obama for President, lol.

13. FSUfisher

FSUfisher Well-Known Member

Not sure how many of you listen to Mofro, but one of their songs sums it up perfectly, talking about Florida: "All we need is one more damn developer [ch8260] Tearing her heart out [ch8260] [ch8260] All we need is one more Mickey Mouse [ch8260] Another golf course another country club [ch8260] Another gated community". I can see both ways, being an engineer on the developmental side, but there's something about the real Florida that no type of attraction can beat.

14. galleta_loco

galleta_loco Well-Known Member

They could close the doors tommorow,and turn it into a game management area there is some big ol mossy backs out there and bucket mouths too.

15. HighSide25

HighSide25 Well-Known Member

my take on Orlando(and miami for that matter) ......it forces me to enjoy fishing the south ML where there are no house/dock filled shorelines, camping in the glades where the only sign of human trace is 1 little rusty brown sign marker to tell you you are not completly lost, a 3x4 mile lake where me and my buddies are the only ones shooting guns and at the boat ramp. or camping in an oak hammock getting disturbed awake by a 250 hog 10 feet from my sleeping bag. orlando is great, but it is not a good representation of what Florida is, or once was IMO

16. snooknreds2

snooknreds2 Well-Known Member

I dont know if any of you read Carl Haisen but if not you should he is one of the best authors around in my opion.

Any ways he has a book out called tourist trap that talks all about this Florida "tourist trap"

17. marshman

marshman just try to follow me....i dare ya...

yall talk about orlando/disney being/not being a good representation of florida...you know, that happens everywhere...here in louisiana, people assume we go to work in pirogues and have pet alligators, or get drunk on bourbon street(theres more to new orleans than the french quarter)........people in new york get mugged everyday, right??...all people in cali surf, and say "hey dude"...

;D ;D

18. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

yes but you live in the land of boudin and cracklin! [smiley=1-thumbsup1.gif]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boudin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crackling

19. marshman

marshman just try to follow me....i dare ya...

yeah, and you , land of oranges and disney...lol

honestly...i, being an avid(somewhat, anyhow) sportsman....when i think of florida i think of  growing up watching roland martin back in the day(when he used ranger boats, lol) catching huge bass on okeechobee...  i can remember flying in to orlando( going to disney, lol) when i was 13 or 14 , and my most vivid memory was all the water you could see from the air...i wanted to come back and go fishing in every water i could find, lol....ive been a fisherman since 4 or 5 years old...

the only other few times ive been to florida was the beach in panhandle area( ftwalton, destin, pensacola) and then just passing thru one time with the scenic wild hair to drive i-10 to - i-95 going to north carollina from louisiana(not the best idea, lol)

20. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Muffalettas, shrimp po-boys and crawfish from the Atchafalaya Basin.
    You don't have it so rough marshman. I miss those cajun delicacies.