Discuss...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by St._Sophie_Girl, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Well everyone... not to start anything controversial or created a heated debate.. But this year will be the first year I will be able to vote for president(Wow I feel young!!). I know it's getting down to crunch time and I don't have the time or patience to watch CNN everyday. But I'm curious to see what you all on this forum are looking for in the canidates. I know personally I would like to know their position on the space program since it is crucial here.. and I would like to hear your opinions as well! Please discuss.. :D

2. brew1891

brew1891 Well-Known Member

I will vote for anyone who does not want to take my hard earned money and give it to someone that did not earn it! I vote with my checkbook like most americans...as the saying goes "it's the economy stupid!" Even though I have a political science degree from UF and we studied all kinds of trends and reasons why people vote certain ways...to me it still comes down to the allmighty dollar. Just look at the current tax codes...the "wealthy" line is ridiculously low and based on 1970's standards.

Unfortunately for me there is no perfect candidate. Most democratic candidates want to take all of my money even though they say otherwise...and most republican candidates come with other baggage such as legislating morality and all of the other religious right agenda. But in the end I will have to deal with the "morality" side of the Republican party just to keep my money where it belongs...in the pockets of my wife and daughter ;D

ok im off my soapbox and sophie im sorry i really didnt answer your question and now i feel really old...thanks!

3. chandler27

chandler27 Well-Known Member

My first year to vote for president too. Trying to keep up with everything does get confusing. :eek: I'll probably worry about it more after the primaries. ;)

4. mygheenoe1

mygheenoe1 Well-Known Member

5. Ron_W.

Ron_W. Well-Known Member

Everyone who can should work to support themselves. Do not buy things or have childern you can not afford. Don't expect those who do work to pay for your mistakes so you don't have to.

Thats the basis of my political decisions. There's a lot of deals made in polotics and the worlds political situation is very complex so don't believe everything any politician says or talk of quick or "obvious" solutions to major issues.

6. inboardgheenoeguy

inboardgheenoeguy Well-Known Member

heck im voting for .......... ME!

7. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

Hey whats that stuff under all my posts ::)

8. tojo

tojo Well-Known Member

I think that the old maxim never discuss politics or religion with friends is true. Of course as you have already reminded us...you are not old enough to mess that up yet so...

I say Huckabee...Cause Chuck Norris said to vote for him ;)

[​IMG]

9. JRH

JRH Well-Known Member

Haven't decided yet, but my choice will be Republican and it sure as hell won't be McCain.

10. beavis

beavis Well-Known Member

Ross Perot all the way baby!

11. Captain_Shane

Captain_Shane Well-Known Member

I don't know who I'am pulling for but it will be the most qualified conservative. Those politicians really get under my skin. I believe they are all lying dawgs. I just hope the one who wins don't bite me.

12. ucfsae81

ucfsae81 Well-Known Member

wait till the primaries are over

right now you should just look at what the candidates are offering and non of them are offering much

i do like huckabee a lot, but one of his down falls is that he doesn't have that much international experience besides that i really think he will be the vp

as you can see gulliani started out hot and is right above ron paul so it just goes to show you that it changes each week just look at the 2 past primaries - huckabee then mcain and now in michigan mit romney is suppose to win

but after hearing the dems talk you can clearly see that all they want to do is raise taxes they have already talked about raising capital gains tax (which will destroy the stock market) and raise the taxs on your pay check

i guess after all this rambling wait till there are 2 candidates left and vote republican

13. costefishnt

costefishnt Cost Efish'nt³

agree 100% with tojo, never dicuss politics, nor religion with friends.

with that said, i am a republican through and through. education, taxes, killing off stupid people, and guns are my concern.

from my cold dead hands....

14. ucfsae81

maybe it just me but all of my friends and i go out and talk about politics and religion

i understand why you wouldn't talk about politics and religion with your friends but most of my friends are strong liberals and don't have the same religion i have but we all talk about issues and look at each others reason behind it and we all respect each others decisions and beliefs

i personally believe everyone should discuss it and in schools because it helps us to be able to debate and back up our reasonings

and beliefs. Its amazing to hear people talk about things they strongly feel for but yet don't no why they feel that way.

next time ask someone why they feel that way and see if they can back it up or know why they feel that way.

its good to see young people asking questions and trying to understand our political system, just another reason to talk about it more.

just my .02

15. inboardgheenoeguy

inboardgheenoeguy Well-Known Member

my rally cry is     A MICROSKIFF AT EVERY HOUSE AND 2 KEGS IN THE FRIDGE!

16. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Temporarily Boatless

gotta say huckabee is my vote so far, he is the only one that is vagrantly promoting the fair tax and if anyone knows anything about it, it'd be the BEST thing going!

I like my Money, my Guns, and My God- Vote Republican! I like my microskiff too but I dont think it is in any danger! ;)

L.R. :cool:

17. ucfsae81

neil bortz is suppose to be doing a book signing soon for his fair tax book

18. Thanks guys... And yes Tojo... I know this is a touchy subject but like you said I'm just a baby! So it's ok.. :). You've all been really helpful! I do need to wait till prelims are over I guess. It is a lot to take in!

19. gregT

gregT Well-Known Member

http://www.issues2000.org/default.htm

Have to love the internet. This might be your most unbiased opinion. It shows you the stances each candidate has on the "major" issues.

I wish we had more knowledge in genetics, wouldn't mind combining traits from all the candidates to get a super president.

20. Ron_W.

Ron_W. Well-Known Member

I just hope Chuck Norris doesn't come and kick my azz when he finds out how I voted. :-?