Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boat is from 1997 and the previous owner abused it. There are a couple of chips not many but this one on the back I'd like to fix. Don't say 5400 it turns an ugly gray

IMG_1921.JPG

G

·
Your gonna want to color match some gelcoat first. Then it’s basically grind out making a bevel about an inch larger “smaller is area won’t allow” thicken some of your color matched gelcoat with fumed silica to make a gelpaste. Squeegee into spot just above level. If you add some sanding aud or duratec you won’t need to cover. Once cured, wetsand starting with 220 to open it up finishing with 6/800 grit and buff.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your gonna want to color match some gelcoat first. Then it’s basically grind out making a bevel about an inch larger “smaller is area won’t allow” thicken some of your color matched gelcoat with fumed silica to make a gelpaste. Squeegee into spot just above level. If you add some sanding aud or duratec you won’t need to cover. Once cured, wetsand starting with 220 to open it up finishing with 6/800 grit and buff.
i was hoping my repair would not involve gelcoat. I wouldn't even know where to get or how it looks. Matching to color will be a trick

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
maybe do a little googling. there are lots of gelcoat repair kits for sale. you've been on this board long enough to have seen a few of these repair threads and you also know that there aren't any shortcuts for this. unless you want to use 5200...or bring it to a shop.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok found one on Amazon. What color is my boat, Matterhorn white or Oyster white

G

·
I started a thread on this very subject a while ago. I used Andy’s videos for a quick reference for ya’ll because he does a good job splainin it all!

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to roll with Matterhorn white ordering now

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I started a thread on this very subject a while ago. I used Andy’s videos for a quick reference for ya’ll because he does a good job splainin it all!
Can you please provide a link

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you serious!

Did the sun fry your brain over the weekend?

:)
Yea i went on a run in 90 degrees and painted the deck and the deck furniture in 90 degrees. Then cleaned my boat in the heat then cut grass in the heat
Yea!!!!

·
Registered
702 Posts
For a spot that size, first I'd not worry so much about a perfect match on a '97 hull your gelcoat has faded and dulled over time...

You can get a simple inexpensive gel-coat repair kit form West Marine that has several color pigments and do a little color matching and do a pretty good job of matching the color.
EverCoat also makes a similar packaged kit. Both have everything you need to repair/fix that spot and be fishing ina day or so.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts