Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with claw/plow anchors, or grapnel or anything like that? I've always just used the danforth/fluke style here in the SC Lowcountry.

95% of the time, I'll use my pin anchor or just stake out with the pole (or most likely, never anchor at all). There are times though, (family trips to the sandbar, camping, tarpon fishing, hard bottom on FL trips) that I want to bring along a different anchor.

I would like to put together an anchor system that all fits in a 5 gallon bucket. I realize I could still use a danforth anchor, but I can easily see that being frustrating to put back in the bucket when changing spots (rode first then trying to shove the shank in, or anchor first and trying to cram the rode around the flukes). I like some of these styles that appear to be made with a bucket in mind, although they are a little more expensive. A folding grapnel style is really tempting from a price and stowage standpoint, but I've only ever used them on a kayak and don't know how they would perform on an actual boat, in less protected water.

I could also go with a smaller danforth, or cut down the stock to make it narrow enough for a bucket, but I want it to still be effective.

Here's an example of one of the anchors made to fit in a bucket:

I know anchor threads are a little beat to death right now, but this is a slightly different topic. Anyone have any experiences they want to share?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I keep a small Mantus dinghy anchor on my skiff and primarily use it when anchored on the beach/sand bar with the family. It’s small and lightweight and fits in its own bag. Would easily fit in a bucket. I’ve been really happy with it. Holds my Heron 18 just fine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Anyone have any experience with claw/plow anchors, or grapnel or anything like that? I've always just used the danforth/fluke style here in the SC Lowcountry.

95% of the time, I'll use my pin anchor or just stake out with the pole (or most likely, never anchor at all). There are times though, (family trips to the sandbar, camping, tarpon fishing, hard bottom on FL trips) that I want to bring along a different anchor.

I would like to put together an anchor system that all fits in a 5 gallon bucket. I realize I could still use a danforth anchor, but I can easily see that being frustrating to put back in the bucket when changing spots (rode first then trying to shove the shank in, or anchor first and trying to cram the rode around the flukes). I like some of these styles that appear to be made with a bucket in mind, although they are a little more expensive. A folding grapnel style is really tempting from a price and stowage standpoint, but I've only ever used them on a kayak and don't know how they would perform on an actual boat, in less protected water.

I could also go with a smaller danforth, or cut down the stock to make it narrow enough for a bucket, but I want it to still be effective.

Here's an example of one of the anchors made to fit in a bucket:

I know anchor threads are a little beat to death right now, but this is a slightly different topic. Anyone have any experiences they want to share?
I’ve used this style anchor and it’s great, I just don’t love that to be most effective it required a good length of chain as well. At least that was my experienc.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,062 Posts
I use my little claw anchor. Holds my big fat boat just fine

Reactions: bryson

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had a Danforth style and now have a 5# plow I keep. Used it a few times and seems to do fine. I keep it and rope wrapped with a plastic ratchet clamp deal in the back hatch. Could easily fit in a smaller bucket

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thats a nice lil kit 👍 i use fortress also fishing around the jettys you got to have faith in your anchor,used to use Danforth galvanized, but made the switch to the fortress fx7 at 4lbs with 6 foot of 3/8 galvanized chain 200 ft of rope cause i fish offshore also,the fortress is super light i Love it 👍 but been thinking about going to the fx11 to see if it would dig in less ,with the boat snatching on it at jettys it will go to china 😁 i did modify mine a touch cause the stock was to wide to fit in my anchor locker i believe i cut 1-1/2 off each side it had no effect on the anchors ability to grab on the drop 👍

·
Registered
2015 Hell's Bay Waterman
164 Posts
Plastic milk crate, have em at Home Depot. Zip tie dri dek to/through the bottom to keep from sliding around. Perfect storage for anchor, chain, rode with a crab pot buoy at the end all fits. Danforth.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I use a 5 lbs claw with a about 5 ft of chain, works great…it always sets the first time and holds solid. Better than a Danforth in my experience. Its rigged like the example in the recent Tarpon Anchor thread, and fits in a 5 gal bucket.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I have 2 anchors for the skiff.(BT Mosquito) A fortress anchor for the bow. Love it. Holding power vs. weight, to me, is the best anchor for the money. I only bring that anchor if I know we are going to be anchoring somewhere, be it the sandbar or deep water or where I know I need gold holding. If we are just fishing the flats, I don't bring it. I also have a 5 pound claw for the stern. That anchor is in the stern at all time so even if I am fishing the flat and I need an anchor (No power pole) I have it on the boat. One of the main reasons I like 2 anchors is when I hit up the beach with friends, I like to sit on the beach with the bow out. That way boat wakes don't wash over my stern. So I anchor the bow out and run the little claw anchor up on the beach.

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Y'all are awesome. Thanks for the feedback!

Good to know those other styles seem to work pretty well. I think I might try one of the claw/plow style and see how I like it. They seem pretty inexpensive, so if I have to switch it up later it won't be a huge deal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts