Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this 98 Pathfinder last year. Great little boat but even in slight chop, I notice a 'double-thud' when striking the water. To me, when the hull bounces down on a wave, I should hear one impact, it sounds like I'm hearing two - almost as if something is loose and flexing.

I've noticed before that the fill cap fitting doesn't sit quite flush with the deck of the boat. Well, the other day when I got back to the ramp, I noticed it was sticking a full half-inch up! The tank is screwed to the bottom so either the deck is flexing or, I fear, there is structural (stringer) problems with the boat.

I don't believe it's the trolling motor, the anchor, or batteries. However, I've considered taking all of but the main battery out and doing an empty run to see what I hear.

I'll see if this is caught in any of the video I have.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Definitely wouldn't hurt to have someone take a look they're definitely prone to stringer issues I had an 05 tailfisher that they came loose in. Have someone local fix it if you do have an issue don't let the morons from Maverick do the work.

·
Brandon, FL
10,934 Posts
That fill hose is pretty stiff. Are you sure the screws aren't pulling out of the rotted deck and causing the fill to be pushed up?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Somali - this boat had not been used in 5 years. A colleague/friend of mine sold it to his buddy years ago. Buddy said "Just leave it at your place and I'll use it when I can and so can you." but first guy never used it b/c he'd bought a new Scout.

<edit><add>...and LOL on the cyber-bullying meme... :) </add></edit>

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That fill hose is pretty stiff. Are you sure the screws aren't pulling out of the rotted deck and causing the fill to be pushed up?
I agree that hose is stiff and certainly that's what's happening..but why? I'm thinking it's a flex in the boat that's causing this to happen.

·
Brandon, FL
10,934 Posts
Bouncing. If the hose is stiff and under tension it could put pressure on the fill. And by the looks of it the screws pulled loose.

·
Registered
478 Posts
If you own a Pathfinder/Tailfisher and hear weird thuds in a chop.

Seriously those are absolutely notorious for stringer issues. You gonna have to cut the floor out. You can do it yourself. I am sure between here and the MBG forum. You will find the knowledge needed. Or break out the checkbook. MBG are not known for quality. It’s all about production. Those guys are building a 17’ skiff before lunch. Then a 22’ CC after lunch. You have to decide on how much you want to invest in the boat. If you love the boat. Roll those sleeves up and dig in.
You may get lucky and its a loose tank. Or some loose rigging under the deck. There at least a couple dozen threads on here from past repairs. So you have a lot of pics to look at and reading to do.
Good Luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts