Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Delacroix Dental!

3859 24
Was in Delacroix a few days last week and this big guy came out to play. After closer look-see I think he has better set of teeth than most of us walking upright, amazing incisors & grinders!! Oh ya fog killed two days of our sight fishing so we only got one morning of vis to sight fish and as usual Delacroix did not let us down.
Fishing Fish Recreational fishing Recreation Bass
Organism
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2,918 Posts
The infamous cajun permit! I don't keep many fish to eat, but that is one that I usually do. Very nice!
I've started shooting them with an el cheapo bow fishing rig. Not very sporting but they make the excellent ceviche and Louisiana allows consumption aboard the vessel.

1or 2 limes, squeezed. If local oranges are in season you can use one orange and 1 lime
1 sweet onion, chopped
1 or 2 Jalapeños, diced
2 or 3 Romas, cored and chopped
Pinch of corse salt
1 Sheephead, cut into cubes

Sometimes if pineapple are in season a cubed pineapple spear adds a nice touch. Also a small apple can give it a satisfying little crunch. Occasionally I'll throw a little piece of garlic in the bag but you need to keep an eye on it and take it out or the garlic can take over.

Toss everything in a 1 gallons ziplock, squeeze out the air, and throw it in the ice chest until the citrus denatures the proteins in the fish. The flesh will become firm and white. Makes a great boat snack by itself or on a flour tortilla with a little sour cream, avocado, and hot sauce.

· Panhandler
4,292 Posts
Nice convict guys. On my bucket list for this winter.

JM, that ceviche recipe sounds delicious. Our local newspaper outdoors writer who unfortunately passed away a couple months ago always talked about cubing sheepshead and boiling the cubes until white. Served with melted butter he claimed it tasted just like lobster. I haven't tried it that way yet but always did enjoy the flavor of fresh sheepie.

· Administrator
6,126 Posts
I've started shooting them with an el cheapo bow fishing rig. Not very sporting but they make the excellent ceviche and Louisiana allows consumption aboard the vessel.

1or 2 limes, squeezed. If local oranges are in season you can use one orange and 1 lime
1 sweet onion, chopped
1 or 2 Jalapeños, diced
Pinch of corse salt

Sometimes if pineapple are in season a cubed pineapple spear adds a nice touch. Also a small apple can give it a satisfying little crunch. Occasionally I'll throw a little piece of garlic in the bag but you need to keep an eye on it and take it out or the garlic can take over.

Toss everything in a 1 gallons ziplock, squeeze out the air, and throw it in the ice chest until the citrus denatures the proteins in the fish. The flesh will become firm and white. Makes a great boat snack by itself or on a flour tortilla with a little sour cream, avocado, and hot sauce.
im doing it....... thx

· Registered
147 Posts
I spent some time in Santiago, Chile and became a huge fan of ceviche. I’m going to have to give that recipe a whirl! Thanks!

1 sweet onion, chopped
1 or 2 Jalapeños, diced
Pinch of corse salt

· Registered
2007 Gordon Waterman , plus beat up J16 and unfinished Gheenoe project sitting in the "boneyard"
1,247 Posts

1 sweet onion, chopped
1 or 2 Jalapeños, diced
Pinch of corse salt

I make ceviche with smaller redfish quite a bit, blood line cut out and all red removed from the fillet. Recipe similar to yours, though I like to add avocado as well. Sometimes I'll finely mince some fresh mint and toss it in for a nice bit of freshness.

Reactions: Mikem1981

· Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

1 sweet onion, chopped
1 or 2 Jalapeños, diced
Pinch of corse salt

Now we are talkin!! We do that all the time when fishing offshore, the question is what species of fish will we use today??

· Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tell me you stayed at delacroix Joe's camp!
Went on Airbnb and not a lot of choices in or around the water. Ended up staying at The Delacroix Lodge which were nice trailers on wheels that would sleep 4-5, kitchen, bathroom/shower, TV, and above all clean. They were a hell of a lot better sleeping arrangements than the last time I was there.

· Registered
198 Posts

Hokey Smokes! I want to go fishing with you! I will pole the whole day just to earn whatever lunch you are making. :p

1 sweet onion, chopped
1 or 2 Jalapeños, diced
Pinch of corse salt

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.