Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor and I chartered Captain Derrick O'Connell for a deep backcountry trip out of Chokoloskie this morning. One hour travel time up the Turner River, with 30 minutes of it in a tight mangrove tunnel ,we reached our destination. A couple of connecting bays. Captain Derrick said the fishing wasn't its best today. I would have to disagree . We totaled about 20 snuke,2 tarpon and 4 Mayan Ciclids in about 3 hours fishing. The boat ride was like an amusement ride. Bouncing off the mangrove branches and roots while laying on the boat floor. A trip of a lifetime.1st pic my biggest tarpon. 2nd our biggest snuke. 3rd mangrove tunnel.
20190305_081929.jpg
20190305_083814.jpg
20190305_070751.jpg

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,096 Posts
Thanks for the report. We'll be there the 30th of March for a few days. Now I know where to fish!

·
Fly-By-Night
3,138 Posts
Nice report, looked like fun.

wish I had not seen that tarpon out of water and that net. sorry
Get over it. Rules say fish over 40" are the ones that have to stay in the water. That's a juvi poon, meaning it prob jumped 3' in the air several times before it was landed. Holding it for a pic isn't going to kill it.

·
Rex Kwan Do Dojo
1,992 Posts
Nice report, looked like fun.

Get over it. Rules say fish over 40" are the ones that have to stay in the water. That's a juvi poon, meaning it prob jumped 3' in the air several times before it was landed. Holding it for a pic isn't going to kill it.
Thank you. Please know the FL regs before passing judgement.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Great pics, what techniques were you using back there? I love Turner river area, but it sometimes can be tough to dial in what works depending on the time of year.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No secret. Once you find them, they'll hit just about anything. The big snook hit a white bucktail. The rest of the fish hit dark catch 2000's,mirrodines and gold spoons.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts