Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a deal on tapered leaders, for those who don't like tied leaders or who don't like to tie them up or who doesn't have the patience to do so.

I think these are mason and are good for throwing larger and heavier flies. They are only 8ft. The idea is to get the 16lb or 20lb and tie on a 18*- 24" piece of FC tippet as your tippet. You can use 10-12lb tippet for the 16lb leader or use 15-16lb FC tippet on the 20lb tapered leader.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sc...k-8~p~9766g/?filterString=fishing-line~d~132/

For a 2-pak, that's only $2 each. Bluezone had also referred a link to some Orvis FC leaders for the same price that was on sale. Don't know if those are still available or not.

Ted

·
I Love microskiff.com!
65 Posts
They are also selling some Smith Chromopop glasses. Depending on the frame style, the discount runs (as I recall) from 45% to 76%. The Chromopops are amazing lenses - far better than the other premium glasses I have worn for fishing applications.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Lol.... I don't see that coming from you! ;)
Haven't had one fail on normal inshore use yet, been using them for a few years now. Haven't used them on tarpon, those are hand tied. I do retie the perfection loop on the back end just to make sure it's done right. Tie on a section of fluro on the end and I'm good to go.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For those who buy such tapered leaders, you can connect them to your fly line with a nail knot, a double nail knot (PITA to do but holds stronger on your bigger rods). Or with a loop connection on your fly line, I recommend going with a loop to loop connection. One of my favorite loop knots to tie on the butt end of that leader that get's connected to the fly line loop is the dbl figure eight knot (or Steve Huff loop knot). Otherwise, a dbl surgeons loop (easiest to tie) or perfection loop are faster to tie.

Ted Haas

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,133 Posts
I ordered some. I generally make my own leaders but will admittedly get lazy at times and want to slap on a pre-tied, tapered leader. Especially when I'm fishing really light tippet- my busted up hands don't like to tie line smaller than about 8# and if I can avoid it I will.

This is what happens when you played in the trenches and have broken all your fingers a couple times.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
750 Posts
For those who buy such tapered leaders, you can connect them to your fly line with a nail knot, a double nail knot (PITA to do but holds stronger on your bigger rods). Or with a loop connection on your fly line, I recommend going with a loop to loop connection. One of my favorite loop knots to tie on the butt end of that leader that get's connected to the fly line loop is the dbl figure eight knot (or Steve Huff loop knot). Otherwise, a dbl surgeons loop (easiest to tie) or perfection loop are faster to tie.

Ted Haas
How is it you don't you don't get trashed by whatshisname for even mentioning nail knots? I get no respect...:(

The tapered leader deal with Orvis is over. There is, however, a deal on their Chinese-made reels discounted by 38-60%. Hopefully it signals the end of that PR folly and they will bring the production to the US where they are now making the CFO reels. Deservedly, they will soon be competing with their own Hydros Chinese knock-offs.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How is it you don't you don't get trashed by whatshisname for even mentioning nail knots? I get no respect...:(

The tapered leader deal with Orvis is over. .
Lol.... I think Steve has seen both sides of the debate by now! lol. It's all good and he still is a good guy, just set in his ways, like a lot of us are. I guess it's not a bad thing to see opinions on both sides of the fence, as long as no one is throwin rocks at each other! In other words, I hope we can all play nicely! Ha! ;)

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,713 Posts

Ted Haas
I use a surgeons never could get the hang of a perfection loop
Your the best Ted

Reactions: Backwater
1 - 16 of 16 Posts