Damage check

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by floridanative1028, May 30, 2009.

1. floridanative1028

floridanative1028 I Love microskiff.com!

Im a new member here but I have definitely been watching and learning here for a while now.  Nows my turn to chime in, I want to know if you real boat builders out there think this hull is structurally salvageable.  I Would really love to fix it as it is a round chine hull and that is just what I am looking for.  Both gouges run through the entire deck almost all the way down the keel and half way down on the port side strake.

(Internet anglers and "know it all's" need not reply)

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

That'd be a serious project.
    It would take some effort to realign the hull to it's original shape.
    Then reinforce it so it wouldn't shift while repairs were made.
    Glass work is easy, but the prep would be a bear!
    Looks like the keel and a skeg have been scraped off,
    and portions of the rolled edge gunnel are gone.

Might be able to use it as a mold for a one-off.

3. floridanative1028

I know what you mean about the flex. I want to make a jig to put it on upside down so i can do the initial glassing. Thats the only way i feel like I can get it as close to even as possible. As far as the rolled edge gunnel I was thinking about lowering the freeboard about 3 or 4 inches all the way around. Thanks for the reply. 1 more pic.

4. flyfisheraa573

flyfisheraa573 Well-Known Member

Not suggesting how to repair....just curious about the year and make...the lines look similar...but definitely not identical to the old Mitchell type boat...Also, what is the length? It appears to be somewhere between 14' and 16'

5. snooknreds2

snooknreds2 Well-Known Member

I am with brett on this one... I think it would be possible to rebuild but essentially you would be donig what I did with the crack-new. Using the existing lines and materials to build a new boat around. It would almost be like the process of rebuilding a transom but with the whole boat. Sand the outside smooth lay glass over it then take away old the old rotting material from the inside until you get to the new glass you laid. Then build it back up to replace the old rotten material. It can be done but the amount of work and materials that you would put into it would not be worth it IMO. However, if you REALLY LOVE that hull shape, you could make it happen

6. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

use any cheap body filler to fill any holes it. Or heck, even use plaster. It sands much easier. Once you have the shape, prime it and paint it. Then wetsand and buff that so it's very smooth. Spray it down with some mold release, start laying glass over the whole thing. glass in some supports and framing. Pop it off the hull and you have yourself a mold.

7. B.Lee

B.Lee Well-Known Member

I was just fishing on the internet thinking, "Darn, I already know all of this stuff," then I can across this post and thougth I'd reply. ::)

I don't think I'd spend my time and money on it myself. That hull is pretty well beat.

8. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Ventilate the workspace Brian, those epoxy fumes are getting to you...

:D

9. Un-shore

Un-shore Well-Known Member

I think for the cost of materials to repair this you could find a decent used hull that might only need paint.

The remaining glass might be water damaged also

10. floridanative1028

I think I'm going to go ahead and see what I can do with it. Materials won't be that bad because we have a commercial account with the local supplier. I'm in no rush to get this thing on the water so if I don't feel like subjecting myself to fiberglass hell one day... I sure won't. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated as soon as I get the hull to my house. Should be a fun little project to keep me busy saying as snook seasons closed now.

11. kuzus

kuzus www.fgci.com 800-272-7890

It seems like you have already made up your mind, but I wouldn't do it. I think you would be much happier with yourself if you used this boat as a plug and built a new boat. It might cost a little more in materials, but it would probably save you a ton of time and the finished product will be something that you could really be proud of. If you build a nice mold, you could build more than one boat out of it.

If you want to fix it, you will need to reglass the whole bottom of the boat and fair it out. If you never leave the boat in the water, you should be able to get away with using fairing putty without getting blisters.

12. floridanative1028

I appreciate all of your replies and input.  All I wanted to know was if it is possible.  I would love to make a mold but thats just not my goal here.  My goal is to make a fishable flats boat of this hull design as cheap as possible and from my experience with used boat hulls you usually get what you pay for.  I mean just look at mine...IT WAS FREE!!  And saying as the hull was free and my brother already has an 07 25hp Yamaha that hes going to let me use, this is my only option right now unless something better comes along or I come across some money.  Anyways thanks again for your opinions and advice guys and I hope to prove any naysayers wrong.

13. gnuraider

gnuraider Well-Known Member

Haven't you ever heard the saying...there is no such thing as a free hull :) Hell, a free hull is worse than a free puppy...

All kidding aside, I wish you luck...don't lump me in with the naysayers, just a joker

14. B.Lee

B.Lee Well-Known Member

Ain't that the truth! ;D

15. Un-shore

Un-shore Well-Known Member

I think that answers your own question. No doubt you will end up with a nice boat with that outlook and your resources. Have fun and I'm looking forward to the updates.

16. gnuraider

gnuraider Well-Known Member

I too am looking forward to updates to the build...any progress/build pics to share?

Dave

17. WhiteDog70810

WhiteDog70810 Mostly Harmless

This is off topic and I haven't seen it done on anything other than kayaks, but the shape of that hull looks like someone could take measurements and make the stations and make a cedar strip version. I know that isn't your plan right know, but maybe someone has done something like this and has photos. It would end up being a brag-worthy hull.

Regarding this hull and your plans, I think you are dead on regarding the jig. You will have to guesstimate some measurements to create the frames for the jig, but that shouldn't be too hard. Just measure for the frames before you cut the rotten stuff out. ;D I would get too ambitious and gut it and remember to measure after the hull has the stiffness of a jellyfish. :-[ It is a project, not an investment, so have fun.

Nate

18. sfsurfr

sfsurfr Oh you fancy huh!!!

Aight guys since I have tried and tried to get floridanative (my little brother) to do a build thread on his boat that he built and I say built b/c if you look at the 1st page of this thread you will realize that there wasn't much to start with. Anyways, he has been dragging his feet so I guess I will do a thread for him... HA! I told you I was gonna do it if you didn't! You got a fair warning! ;D

I will let floridanative fill in the blanks but here is the boat from the beginning of this thread as it sits today.

This was D day. First time in the water after the build.
    [​IMG]

The motor fired up and we were off for her first shakedown run.
    [​IMG]

Another pic from right down the canal from the ramp.
    [​IMG]

Had to get some chow handed off. Nothin better than a healthy Micky Ds snack! We worked all day with no food for this moment and it was way past time to dig in.
    [​IMG]

She planed off but topped out at about 16mph with 2 guys and a full livewell so some adjustments were needed.
    [​IMG]

Made em and sent Chase out solo.
    Now she was hitting 19-20.
    [​IMG]

Couple of casts and we had more pilchards than the 20 gal livewell could hold and we were getting stoked for our maiden voyage snook hunt. Catch and release of course...
    [​IMG]

Thanks to all the rain we had back when these pics were taken my canal was mostly fresh water so all the bait died. No worries. We weren't gonna let a little dead bait ruin our night so out came the artificials.

The stars aligned and we had a great night with a ton of fish caught. We left em biting at 3am and it was about 1000% humidity and hotter than a nuns c*nt in a cucumber patch!!! Hope I didn't offend anyone with the phrase above but we are talkin fishin and boats here.

Heres the Capt! Nice snook on a red/white yozuri
    [​IMG]

I got a nice little tarpon on a yozuri slider
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another little snook... One of many
    [​IMG]

This lure barely hit the water before he was on!
    [​IMG]

I think this is a sick pic of the tarpon
    [​IMG]

Ok well there are a few pics. That camera is permanently coated in slime thanks to that trip and we barely even took any pics! I don't know how many fish we caught that night... I lost count but we were catching fish from the time we left the dock to the time we decided we were both smoked and had to get some rest. We fished from 9pm-3am which isn't all that long of a night but we started working on the boat at 8 am that morning to finally get her all finished. What a great night on a great little boat! Since then we have had many more great trips and hopefully she will be able to put us on some bahamas bonefish this summer!!!

Standby for a thread in the bragging section which will go through the build.

Oh yeah one more thing.... She's tippy! Real tippy!!! haha! Love it!!! :D

19. Flyline

Flyline Won &quot;Do More With Less&quot; Award!

What a great thread! I'm enjoying it! Thanks!

20. iFly

iFly I Love microskiff.com!

Per your brothers request, I posted some very useful information to your project here:
    http://www.yetanotheruselesswebsite.com/

Your brothers post is here:
    http://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1299533282

Which of course directs you to another site that will direct you to another site that will direct you to another site that will direct you to another site that will direct you to another site that will direct you to another site that will direct you to another site that will direct you to another site that will direct you to another site that will direct you to another site that will direct you to another site that will direct you to another site that will direct you to another site that will direct you to another site that will direct you to another site that will direct you to another site that....