Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on my ultimate river skiff which started life as a G3 jon boat. I am adding oarlocks at the gunnels and wonder about cutting and welding the gunnels to inlet the oarlock sockets. I’m thinking a unit with 3 sockets, about 18” long let in to the gunnel then welded and plated over. The idea is to make it look like it was intended that way from the factory, well integrated with the boat. Obviously the gunnels are involved in the structure of the boat.

Anyone here with experience doing this kind of thing?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Gunnels are 2.5 wide with the width distributed mostly to the inside, and about 1” high. I need to install several 3/4 diameter sockets on each side. Not enough meat to simply drill a hole through. One thought is to ad a patch around the inside radius and drill through. Another is to cut out the inside of the gunnel and weld in a piece of square tubing with sockets drilled. Also possibly a handrail type device right on top of the gunnels.

The gunnel is oval in cross section and the hull attaches in a flanged slot about 70% to the outside, so most of the gunnel overhang is inside. Looked for pics but did not find one. May take one in the morning.

Mostly I’m concerned with structure and not compromising the boat. I am open to ideas or discussion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts