Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
G

·
Just curious why you need a custom rod - especially if you’re looking for one at a good price? What’s a custom 6 wt going to do for you that a Scott Meridian, Loomis NRX or Sage Salt is not going to do?

· Registered
52 Posts
Just curious why you need a custom rod - especially if you’re looking for one at a good price? What’s a custom 6 wt going to do for you that a Scott Meridian, Loomis NRX or Sage Salt is not going to do?
For me, I prefer a larger diameter grip over what they sale off the shelf. When they manufacture the grips, they have the small hands of a lady or young man/boy in mind.

· Registered
53 Posts
my two cents worth...you buy a custom rod and it is built on a "B" blank...the blank is guaranteed for whatever time period but thats all they replace if warranty issue...you still have to have it rebuilt which will cost you another $300 to $400-ish usually...it is also much harder to sell a "custom rod" used because it is built for you! Just saying!

· Registered
74 Posts
That's true if building it yourself but it depends on the builder's policies for one you commission- most should offer as good or better warranties as the major OTS makers - and some of the blanks used are mainly used in bespoke applications so there is more choice there as well in some cases.

· Registered
594 Posts
I have been building fly rods for over 30 years and you can definitely get a better fly rod from a builder. Most will give you some sort of guarantee on the blank. It is really the blank manufacturers that carry the guarantee and the builder will replace your blank and charge you to put the guides on and whatever else is a loss like the grips and real seat. (usually just the tip on a fly rod). If you have built rods this is an issue and most have a solution. I would find a builder in your area and talk to them and see what they are producing. You will need someone that builds their own grips and turns them themselves. I do it because I to have a large hand and prefer a larger grip and I use all titanium corrosion proof guides on saltwater rods. Sorry I know a lot of you hate FB but they let you do this.
https://www.facebook.com/Snakesurfperformance/

G

·
No rod builder can stay in business offering a lifetime warranty, plain and simple. If they do it’s because they are buying $10 Chinese rod blanks and are running a sweat shop.
Pretty sure most of them offer a lifetime warranty, including Scott, Sage, Winston and Loomis. Now, those warranties apply only to the original owner when bought through an authorized dealer and Loomis may charge a replacement fee if they determine that the damage was due to normal wear and tear, accident or neglect, but every fly rod I've ever owned came with a lifetime warranty - and every broken rod was repaired or replaced for a very nominal fee.

G

·
On the topic of warranties, I will say that rod blanks will only break from misuse and abuse. Rods don't randomly break, if there is a flaw in blank construction, the rod will break within the first handful of uses
Not at all so. I've broken plenty from fighting fish over the past 30+ years.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.