Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to replace my drop in Ritchie compass with a cup holder. My issue is the flange on the compass is 4 7/8" and most cup holders have a slightly smaller diameter. I'd like to cover up the screw holes from the compass if possible. Does anyone have a link for a cup holder that can cover that up? Someone posted a website a while back that had all kind of size options for cup holders. I cant find it unfortunately. Been looking through google with no luck either.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Just fix the holes. It will probably take less time and cost less than having to chase down something to increase the size of the flange.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah that was my back up plan. I have some depth restrictions too because of the steering mount underneath it. But sure I can make a starboard ring and build it up as well. I just remember this one website having tons of sizing options.
Main reason I'm losing the compass is because its useless with the amount of deviation I get from turning my wheel. On the trailer I can turn the steering wheel and spin the compass around 90 degrees. Not too reliable I'd say. Now if it was an emergency I would of pulled the compass out of the dash and used it elsewhere.

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,415 Posts
Maybe you were thinking of www.boatoutfitters.com ?

I needed to adapt to a larger hole in the console when I converted to hydraulic steering recently. Had Metal Fabrication of Tallahassee make an aluminum collar and powder coated it black to match. Added strength and rigidity and looks like a factory install. MFT also built the tray and rod/cupholder for me.

www.metalfabtallahassee.com

57143476821__38B0250B-00E6-4E88-972A-BBE9478BA1F3.jpg

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It wasn't boatoutfitters.com but they do have a good selection. I'll probably make a collar like a few have suggested.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Replied to your message. Could just mail you a piece or I could easily make you a flat flange or even form it to fit around cup holder and down into existing hole. Material is 1/8” thick and formed(heated and stretched over a form probably thins it out to 3/32.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Not trying to start any riff here but why are you removing a compass that's probably one of the most valuable thing on your boat if it was ever really needed?Electronics fail proven fact haven't heard of many compasses going bad not to say it doesn't happen. That and a waterproof chart got me out of the glades on more than one occasion.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Not trying to start any riff here but why are you removing a compass that's probably one of the most valuable thing on your boat if it was ever really needed?Electronics fail proven fact haven't heard of many compasses going bad not to say it doesn't happen. That and a waterproof chart got me out of the glades on more than one occasion.
I agree with what your saying for South Florida, and if he ever trailers down there, I'd recommend him keeping it as a fail safe. But unless he's venturing offshore in Charleston, which is highly unlikely in a skiff, he shouldn't need a compass around here. We don't have mazes of mangroves, mostly creeks, and you can always see land and should know exactly where you are and where you came from. It's not a complicated fishery here, but getting the fish and weather to cooperate is sometimes complicated.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I agree with what your saying for South Florida, and if he ever trailers down there, I'd recommend him keeping it as a fail safe. But unless he's venturing offshore in Charleston, which is highly unlikely in a skiff, he shouldn't need a compass around here. We don't have mazes of mangroves, mostly creeks, and you can always see land and should know exactly where you are and where you came from. It's not a complicated fishery here, but getting the fish and weather to cooperate is sometimes complicated.
Ohh gotcha that makes sense.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure if you read the part about my steering column making the compass turn when I turn the wheel. I also have a decent hiking compass in the boat bag for if I were to be in a sticky situation, but around here there is no real need.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,254 Posts
Not trying to start any riff here but why are you removing a compass that's probably one of the most valuable thing on your boat if it was ever really needed?
Having spent most of a day lost in the Ozello creeks I would tend to agree.

The tide flows differently depending on which side of the creek you are on and standing on the poling platform all you can see is the tops of mangroves. And using Navionics on our phones was pretty much useless to determine direction since we weren't moving enough to update a track and identify N/S/E/W. I would have paid for a compass right then and there. I'm adding one to my dry box / tool bag before the next trip up there or to the Glades.

When the choice to go left or right got confusing, we kept heading for the birds we could see...since we figured they were most likely on the seaward side. Turned out we chose correctly.

Its VERY easy to get turned around while poling mangroves...LOL...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah i have to agree that a decent compass on a boat is a good idea no matter where you are really. If you go in any open water i think its a must. Fog can pour in very quickly.
I think the compass on an Iphone works without service, but personally i wouldnt rely on it like i would a marine or hiking compass. The little bubble ones on watches and other things are jokes. I’ve seen those things be way off.
Thanks for all the help, yes I’m making a collar with two hole saws for the cup holder.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts