Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, haven’t ever really posted here much so I figured I’d start doing a little more. Here’s my fishing report from this week.

Crystal River - This week we were fishing a lot of creeks looking for bigger groups of redfish on the slow trickle of an outgoing tide that we had. Earlier part in the week with the stronger tide made it a little tougher to stay with the fish, as they felt they needed to move a little faster towards the outside with the tide. These redfish liked a small shrimp patter that didn't sink very fast. We threw it in a natural tan/pink color with small bead chain, and that did the trick. We had to fish through several groups to find some willing fish, but we made it happen with a few good ones! While we were in Crystal River, we were also fishing for trout in the "kelp grass" or "rock grass", depending on who you are. We fished a sink tip line on an 8 weight with a white clouser, and that did the trick. With some of the thicker patches, we poled around the edges so we didn't have to worry about getting the fly stuck in the grass as much.

I found an area this week that had really clean water, with not much grass or really any structure. It reminded me of Louisiana a lot, so I stopped and poled for a little while. I'm really glad I did. The bottom was just mud, but had a ton of small crab holes in it, so I tied on a crab fly and started poling. Within 5 minutes of being on the push pole I found a nice floating fish, sunning himself on this mud flat. After catching this one, I put the fly rod away and just started poling and looking. Found some more fish in there and left so I could take my clients in there the next few days. Ended up catching a ton of great redfish, black drum, hooked one sheepshead (hook came out unfortunately.) We even had some double digit days on fly in this area! The wind made it sort of challenging for the earlier part of the week, but it was great to get out and see this area look the way it did a few years ago! Hopefully I'll be able to start posting in here more often. Thanks for reading and tight lines!

Picture credit goes to myself and Kyle Messier

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 CS J - 16 w/ 50 hp Tohatsu
70 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts