Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of planning a trip to Crooked Island for some bonefishing. Anyone on this forum been there? Any reccomendations on where to stay? It looks like there are not many options
Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Ya been there quite a few times as my EX's sister/husband used to own the Pittstown Point Resort. Fishing was good to excellent and had many days with over 20 bones on fly but then again it depends on what size you want to catch. Big fish not many, little fish were everywhere! The sucky part was the long boat ride from the boat basin to French Wales to access the flats to bone fish. If the weather was bad it made for a long trip. Most of what we did was wading and it was a fun fishery. Some big muttons around and they can be fun to chum up and catch. Been 10 years since I have been back but had many good times on that island!

Reactions: K3anderson

·
I Love microskiff.com!
485 Posts
Fished out of Pittstown Point for a week 20 years ago - I thought Crooked Island was cool but as noted a pretty long run up open shoreline to the bonefish grounds. Not sure there were many (any?) Other lodging options.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I stayed at Crooked Island lodge for a week over the summer with my Dad.

Bonefishing can be really good (had a morning session w ~25 bones on foot) but we had some slow days as well ( 5 between the 2 of us). For the Bahamas, decent #s of permit around as well. As noted, the run to the fishing grounds is pretty long

ss below shows run from the lodge to the fishing grounds. it's about 40 minutes. it is a gorgeous run though. you can also fish acklins, which I think is a shorter run but more homogenous fishing and prob less permit/other oppty's.

pm me if you want to chat more

·
Registered
726 Posts
Had a few days one summer when the tuna were going crazy on the ride home out in the dark water and they made our fly and spinning reels sing which made for some good eating. The guides were very leary of leaving the shallow water and venturing out into the dark water as if something happened to there motor they had no way to anchor or stop the boat. One time we had this huge whale shark swim under our Action Craft and it dwarfed the flats boat! Good memories!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts