Crevalle

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by devrep, Apr 14, 2014.

1. devrep

devrep Well-Known Member

We catch a lot of small jacks every weekend, kind of a nuisance fish. Yesterday I pulled 4 of them off of an oyster bar in the 5 lb plus range (yes I know they get huge) and was surprised at the fight in them. I've always been told the are no good to eat.

I released all of them but for some reason one of them bled profusely and I couldn't revive him, he sunk to the bottom. I got him back with my net and threw him on ice and my son cooked him last night, was actually pretty good eating.

Does anyone else eat these?

2. brunyan

brunyan I Love microskiff.com!

I have eaten them but don't often. If they are fresh and you take the red meat out and fry them they aren't half bad.

I caught about 100 on a pompano jig a couple weeks ago off the beach. Filled up a nice ladies cooler fishing the jetty for her and her family.

3. MSG

MSG I Love microskiff.com!

fry it - anything from the ocean fried is good.

4. Recidivists

Recidivists Looking towards the weekend!

As kids, we used to bribe the Haitian security guard at Pier 66 with our Jack Crevalle catch. That family must have been Jacked up by the time that summer was done.

I only eat the ones I kill. Not bad at all. If you can eat Kingfish, you won't be put off by Jack. Typical dark meat procedure: Gill bleed 'em, on ice immediately, remove blood line, and grill 'em.

5. --AL--

--AL-- I Love microskiff.com!

I don't eat them now because its "poor eating" but I used to eat these all the time as a kid fishing off the old Rickenbacker bridge (now demolished) on Key Biscayne and loved them and the Croakers. But back then I'd eat anything I'd pull up outta there.

6. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Small crevalles, bar jack, green jack, blue runners (1 to 2 lbs)
    are very good eating when prepared properly. Cut the throat
    and bleed 'em immediately. Filet, skin, remove all dark meat.
    It's an oily meat that goes well in chowders and tomato based sauces.
    I use it to make a spaghetti sauce that never has leftovers.
    Larger scombroids should be released, as apex predators
    the meat concentrates pollutants like heavy metals and pesticides.
    I won't eat anything over 2 to 3 lbs from nearshore waters.

7. Recidivists

Recidivists Looking towards the weekend!

Mercury is always an issue with the larger apex fish.  All of us could do with some chelation therapy.

Histadine content is why the fish should be iced immediately, as well as flesh quality.  Histamine poisoning is easily remedied with some oral antihistamine, though.

The only thing I really fear is ciguatera.

8. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Certain foods can be used to help remove heavy metals such as mercury from other food such as fish like king fish and barracuda. Cilantro has proven many studies over to make food with near deadly mercury levels safe to eat.
    I used to have a couple links to some very good studies done on cilantro and its ability to remove dangerous metals from food. Im sure a quick Google search could find it if Interested. A lot of scientists are trying to promote cilantro in 3rd world countries to better their health, and even help remove heavy metals from water in the purification process.

9. Hicatch

Hicatch Well-Known Member

Actually PCB's pose a greater risk when consuming fish than mercury. PCB's were used extensively in the 20th century by companies like GE for production of power grid materials like transformers and capacitors which resulted in millions of pounds of PCB's being released into the environment in rivers and coastal areas throughout the world. PCB's are very stable by nature and do not easily decompose. In addition, PCB's have a long half life and are not able to be dissolved by water. The result is these toxins build up in the fat of fish and are then transferred to wildlife and humans who consume them. PCB's are considered to be highly carcinogenic and linked to other diseases and birth defects.