Creating floor question

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by cwalden, Jul 13, 2013.

1. cwalden

cwalden I Love my Ghee-not!

Let me start off with the problem.  I have a 16ft Gheenoe clone that I have been using for a few years with a 6hp Evinrude.  No problems, but it was not enough to get her up on plane.  It was moving around like a displacement hull at about 6mph. it looks just like this one but in much better shape: http://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1303763440/0

Now I have a 15p Johnson and she get up on plane just fine!  about 20mph now.  Here is the problem.  The whole floor area between the 2 seats flexes with the chop.  as much as 2 or 3 inches!!!  It is very disconcerting to watch!  It has also cracked the corners of the floor on the coffinbox style livewell.

I am fairly adept at fiberglassing and woodwork, so here is what I plan to do.  I would like to carefully cut out the coffinbox, place some 1/2 to 1 inch tall ribs and stringers on the hull, fill empty areas with flotation foam. Then cover the stringer system with 3/8 ply and glass it in.  then place the coffinbox back on top.  The foam is for two reasons.  To provide some floatation (the boat has none) and provide support for the thin floor.  I don't want to add much weight and the floor does not get walked on much, just when boarding and disembarking the vessel.  Anyone see a problem with the plan so far?

Also, does anyone have a clever way to make sure all of the stringers/ribs are level on top?  They are all going to have to be individually hand cut.  The hull has curve and some bow to it in this area.

2. cwalden

upon rereading my post, I need to clarify a few things
    stringers/ribs will be glassed in, then foamed
    floor will be glassed on both sides.

3. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Creating a level floor?
    Old school technique was to set the hull on the ground.
    Block the keel level, level the hull, block the chines,
    plug the drain hole(s) and fill with water to the desired floor height.
    Using a carpenters pencil mark the inside of the hull at the water level.
    Drain the water, let the hull dry and you have a level line around the perimeter
    of the interior of the hull to work to. Easy to cut templates to make frames
    and stringers by working from the marks and measuring down.

4. cwalden

THAT'S the kind of tip I was looking for. haha I knew someone would have something simple that I just hadn't thought of.

5. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

If you don't want to waste the water, another old technique
    is to use clear vinyl 5/16" tubing and fill it with water.

How to...

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-to/departments/building-skills/making-and-using-a-water-level.aspx

6. cwalden

No wasting of water. It's rained here EVERY day for 3 weeks! With no end in sight. All I have to do is make sure it's level and put the drain plug in. A few days later, I'll be good.