Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive really been wanting to get into crappie fishing with the girl this winter (is that lame?). I grew up fishing Biscayne bay, and the bights, banks and islets of Florida bay as well as the everglades wmas. After 27 years ive long lost count of bonefish, but have yet to catch a crappie! HELP! where should i start? I Only bass fish with ultraights so good on rods, guess my main questions would be

1. How productive is the crappie fishing in the lakes between lake O, and say kissimee.
2. And as far as technique? Where to start? fly fishing, noodling around vegetation, trolling?? ive read that technique depends on water temp/season, inferring lures depend on technique.

Any input is good input, they're not tarpon right?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Lake O when it gets cold out is pretty much a guarantee. Minows or jigs right up on the vegetation.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
I caught a decent number of them this summer on Orange Lake in Marion county. I know they supposedly prefer cool water, but I was catching them along with other panfish pretty consistently around grass/lilly pads in 6-7 feet of water. They were eating live grass shrimp, small inline spinners and nymphs under indicators on a 5wt.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
713 Posts
Up here around the north side of Orlando, I do okay slow trolling with minnows in 6 to 10 feet of open water in the cooler months. I mean really slow, like 1 or 1.5 mph with just the trolling motor. If it's windy, I just drift. I haven't a clue what the hell I'm doing, but we can usually catch plenty for dinner. I add or remove splitshot a few inches above the hook to vary depth until I start getting bites. I've gone to Monroe a couple times but usually go better on Harney.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pretty stoked, once it cools off ill pick a lake off us 27. So i can fly fish with poppers or nymphs...sounds fun.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
686 Posts
When it's hot jig the pads and grass lines or use grass shrimp or minnows. You'll pick up a bunch of bream this way too. When working the pads or grass a long cane pole and a tiny slip bobber is really easy and productive but you can use a cork and wait and bait too. In the winter is when I like it best. Go to the deepest part of the lake you can find and drift or slow troll live minnows on jigs anywhere from 5 to 10 foot depth or deeper. Easy fishin and when you get into them you can really light them up.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Lake Kissimmee has its fair share. Sometimes when conditions are right you can catch tons.
IMG_1902[1].JPG
These two above were taken on the south end during Thanksgiving in either lily pads and kissimmee grass. Can't remember for sure but we were either using live minnows fished on a small hook with a cork or jiggin' with crappie jigs similar to these.
upload_2018-9-21_15-49-13.jpeg

·
Brandon, FL
10,393 Posts
I caught a decent number of them this summer on Orange Lake in Marion county. I know they supposedly prefer cool water, but I was catching them along with other panfish pretty consistently around grass/lilly pads in 6-7 feet of water. They were eating live grass shrimp, small inline spinners and nymphs under indicators on a 5wt.
Did the lake fill back up?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts