Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to keep weight down as much as possible..looking for a cranking battery..small and light..was thinking on 1 just for cranking in one compartment and one for bilge and lights in other....
Saw a banshee lithium cranking battery for 25 hp or less .but no one has them in stock..not sure if they are that good or if they got discontinued..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I should use one good marine battery for all but I converted this boat to a tiller..and not sure if I want the battery sitting next to the fuel tank.. especially with me sitting right above it..

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
11,642 Posts
The AutoCraft LFP-8 lithiums I have for combo cranking/house batteries are also discontinued but have given me no problems. I do know some outboards like the new Tohatsus don’t like the lithium voltage.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,675 Posts
Trying to keep weight down as much as possible..looking for a cranking battery..small and light..was thinking on 1 just for cranking in one compartment and one for bilge and lights in other....
Saw a banshee lithium cranking battery for 25 hp or less .but no one has them in stock..not sure if they are that good or if they got discontinued..
My Gordon has a Constant Power Lithium 12 volt 100 Ah LifePO4 Deep Cycle Battery for cranking/house. Website says it weighs 31 lbs., but that seems like a lot.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have run this since Dec. '18 for my 50hp Tohatsu. WEST MARINE Group U-1 Dual-Purpose AGM Battery 32 Amp Hours | West Marine

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My plan was to stick a small battery each side one for cranking one for lights,bilge etc..but kinda rethinking it now lol. You can see in pic a smaller hole in back of boxes..weight difference probably isn't gonna help Abit and overkill..could move cranking battery to the front ...

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,922 Posts
My plan was to stick a small battery each side one for cranking one for lights,bilge etc..but kinda rethinking it now lol. You can see in pic a smaller hole in back of boxes..weight difference probably isn't gonna help Abit and overkill..could move cranking battery to the front ...
View attachment 171717
Go too Walmart get a 1,000 amp cranking marine battery and put it up front. Put in an on/off switch so it won’t run down

·
Registered
450 Posts
I use a West Marine Group U-1 Dual Purpose AGM 32 amp for my cranking starting battery. I run a 60 4 stroke Merc. I also run my Simrad, lights, bilge pump off of it. It weighs only 24 lbs. Been running it for years with no problems. Keep Simrad on while polling. I talked to Mercury and they said it is fine to use. It is located in stern. My trolling battery is up front. And its weight helps to balance for running.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,447 Posts
Odyssey PC925. I'm running that on my EVOx with Zuke 60. It is my start and house battery but I only have a micro power pole and a GPS chartplotter/MFD and only the MFD is a constant drain. Battery is 23lbs but an odd size.

Reactions: ek02

·
I Love microskiff.com!
32 Posts
I'm in the same boat here, looking for a new cranking/house batter soon for the skiff. We have a 60hp etec and the chart I saw online says it needs 660cca. Looking for the best bang for our buck and don't want to spend $400+ dollars just to save 25lbs. I also don't want to get something that's too small and won't turn over the engine good. Right now we have an interstate deep cycle that says it is 1000cca. We only have a few accessories that this would power (gps, power pole, jack plate, lights, bilge, & livewell (rarely)) if that helps.
etec chart.jpg IMG_9825.JPG

·
Registered
91 Posts
I know I should use one good marine battery for all but I converted this boat to a tiller..and not sure if I want the battery sitting next to the fuel tank.. especially with me sitting right above it..
I have been told that it's important to use a proper battery box, and don't drill holes in the bottom for the strap. Screw the strap keepers down to the bottom of the hatch liner (if you have one). Use an ignition protected battery switch.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Why is everyone so afraid of a 4lb lithium motorcycle battery or two? AGM motorcycle batteries have been bad luck for me. Both Smack and I run the same. I run one. Best battery I ever had. Motorcycles have bigger motors than any of these skiffs, get plenty of vibration and heat. My model is gone, but there are plenty out there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts