Cracked Gel Coat/Exposed Fiberglass...Need Help!

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by restlesswoodie, Apr 1, 2013.

1. restlesswoodie

restlesswoodie I Love microskiff.com!

I have a 1999 Pathfinder 17t and over the weekend hit something up in the front drivers side of the boat that has now exposed an area about 5" long by 1" - 2" wide where the side of the boat meets the bottom. There area also spider cracks coming from where the damage occured. I tried a product called WaterWeld and it worked short term but has recently open a small crack in it. The fiberglass was not damaged just the outside coating over it. How should I go about fixing this?

2. CurtisWright

CurtisWright Light, Strong, Cheap. Pick Two.

If it hit hard enough to crack the gel coat I would put good odds that it also did some damage to the glass.

I would start with a 4" grinder and 40Grit sanding disk and grind away the gelcoat (dont go too far into the glass) in the affected area. Once that is done I would thoroughly inspect the area inside and out for any cracks in the glass. If no cracks, I would tape off a square around the prepped area, and reapply a polyester gel coat. (unless you have an epoxy boat)

Once it cures, start with 220 Grit airfile paper glued to a strip of 1/2" plywood and fair in the brush strokes with the hull. You may yhave to put a second coat on if there are any low spots. Then get an orbital sander and use, 400, 600,1000, 1500, then polish it with a buffing compound.

3. cvilt

cvilt I Love microskiff.com!

I think those are kevlar hulls if that makes a difference