Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot a coyote this afternoon and it had nice fur so I took the tail home and cut it off the bone and salted it down. It looks like it would be good for some flies. I've used squirrel tail and pheasant tail but never used a coyote tail
IMG_9469.JPG

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,142 Posts
The tail is good but the under belly fur is really awesome from my experience as well.

To be honest I got tired of messing with salting stuff anymore so I just clip off as close to the hide as possible into clumps about the size of my finger then zip tie the base of the fiber into a bunch. It takes a little longer to do initially. It you don’t have to mess with salting and drying.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I have a couple on my place I need to make into tying material.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
510 Posts
What are you guys using them for? Collars? Instead of arctic fox or similar? I looked at link on eBay. good price for that stuff. Fly shop wants $5 for a small clump. It looked sweet and I was thinking about buying some but the eBay price for a whole tail was smoking in comparison.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I’ve got some more at the house that either has coyote or is full yote like my clouser.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I shot a coyote this afternoon and it had nice fur so I took the tail home and cut it off the bone and salted it down. It looks like it would be good for some flies. I've used squirrel tail and pheasant tail but never used a coyote tail View attachment 61170
I was once told by a prominent fly tyer that all types of fur have potential. He said that in general, animals that make a living around water are best for tying flies that shed water on the back cast. (Polar Bear fur is awesome for this if you can get it legally) other fur, like hare's ear absorbs and holds water which makes it great for sunk flies. Some fur, like elk hair is hollow and is great for floating flies. Coyote looks to be a finer hair and probably helps with movement. So again, different furs have different virtues.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The tail is good but the under belly fur is really awesome from my experience as well.

To be honest I got tired of messing with salting stuff anymore so I just clip off as close to the hide as possible into clumps about the size of my finger then zip tie the base of the fiber into a bunch. It takes a little longer to do initially. It you don’t have to mess with salting and drying.
Holding them still while you clip their belly is tricky...just sayen

·
Registered
69 Posts
IMG_5619.JPG
We got lotta critters down here in Dixie. I never bother with gray squirrels, ratcoons, possums, gray fox and bob and domestic cats... I do use the fox squirrels, black squirrels, yotes, deer hides.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts