cOWLING FOR 60 TO 70 HP YAMI 2-STROKE

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by islander1225, Apr 22, 2009.

1. islander1225

islander1225 Well-Known Member

ANYONE ONE KNOW OF A PLACE I CAN CALL OR GO TO THAT SELLS USED MOTOR COWLINGS? MINE IS SO BADLY OXIDIZED THAT WHEN I WAX IT I AM TAKING OFF THE PAINT LOL, I HAGVE GOT THE BOAT ALL SHINY AND BACK TO ITS ORGINAL SHAPE SINCE IT HAD BEEN STORED OUTSIDE THE PAST THE 5 YEARS AND I DONT THINK THE GUY EVER WAXED IT, LUCKILY THE ONLY THING NOW THAT IS BOTHERING ME IS THE WAY THE MOTOR LOOKS.

ALEX

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

A repaint will cost less than a new or used cowling.
    Most old ones are stored outdoors anyhow.

3. islander1225

I ABSOLUTELY SUCK AT PAINTING AND I HAVE SEEN SOME GOOD DEALS ON 90 HP ONES THAT ARE IN REALLY GOOD SHAPE THE BOAT IS GOING TO BE STORED UNDER A SHELTER NEXT TO MY DAD'S CC SO I AM TRYING TO GET THE BOAT LOOKING GOOD.

ALEX

4. Flyline

Flyline Won &quot;Do More With Less&quot; Award!

Alex,

Have u try a 3M OXIDIZED polish compond bottle? It's like 50 bucks and use a high speed buffer with 3M compound will remove the most of nasty stuff. Then leave it very shiny like a brand new motor.

JROCK did a amazing job on the blue highsider.....PM him and he will tell u what bottle....I forgot.

My 2 cents....

5. B.Lee

B.Lee Well-Known Member

http://fpmarine.com/

Located in Port Canaveral...

[​IMG]

6. islander1225

yeah we have tried everything and what is happening is, it is bad that the paint comes off with the oxidation lol.

I have spent a total of 3 days cleanign the boat up after i got it with waxing and fixing some wiring that at this point i am tired of waxing for now and willing to just find a good used somewhat inexpensive cowling lol.

Alex

7. B.Lee

B.Lee Well-Known Member

WS, that compound is for gelcoat, it will eat the paint off a cowl in a second. Two different materials.