Coverting Jetski trailer to Canoe trailer

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by Howard Cummings, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Howard Cummings

Howard Cummings Well-Known Member

My 17' square stern Old Town needs a trailer. I have access to a Long galv. jetski trailer and was thinking of extending the tongue, about 8'..Will this work?

2. WhiteDog70810

WhiteDog70810 Mostly Harmless

I'd talk to a trailer shop to be sure. My knee-jerk reaction is that a jetski trailer should be built more than heavy enough to allow a longer tongue for that light of a load. Jetskis are hella heavy for their size while a flat stern OT canoe is incredibly light in comparison. The entire rig may be so light when loaded that it never takes the slack out of the springs. It may bounce like the devil.

Nate

3. Howard Cummings

maybe take a leaf out of the springs?

4. WhiteDog70810

WhiteDog70810 Mostly Harmless

Possibly. Definitely talk to a trailer shop about that.

Nate

5. Shmelton

Shmelton Well-Known Member

I just bought a 20’ piece of 2x3 galv tubing and replaced the whole tounge. At the time it was $65.00 for 20’ stick and the supply house cut it to 16’. I know steel has gone up, but I’d still check into it. I sprayed gold halves on it and was done after drilling 4 holes.

6. Howard Cummings

I was trying to decide between aluminum ( $$$$) and galv steel (shipping was outrageous)..Then a friend who manufactures agricultural spraying equipment and who I have converted to the long rod..gave me an 8' piece of 2x3 aluminum..What type of watercraft did you put on yours ?

7. Shmelton

Shmelton Well-Known Member

23’ gheenoe. I don’t fish salt water and I had a supplier a block away from my work so it was an easy choice.