couple images

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by commtrd, Aug 12, 2017.

1. commtrd

commtrd I Love microskiff.com!

[​IMG]
    Measured draft at rest a little over 5.5" which was a little less than I thought. Note tunnel fully submerged.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Man I love this boat. And with some more hours on the motor, it is really running better and gets on with it when hit the throttle. The 4 blade wheel is working awesome! Keeps good water pressure with motor lifted all the way up too. Highly recommend the TX guys with tunnel professionals raise that motor 3". It works.

Smackdaddy53, Fritz, el9surf and 2 others like this.
  2. makin moves

makin moves Well-Known Member

How do you measure 5.5 with prop and skeg in the water? Those would have to be out of the water for that kind of draft #. Either way beautiful boat.

3. commtrd

Water there almost two feet deep. Just measuring from bottom of boat to water line but yeah the lower unit would need to be out of the water to pole near shallowest draft (obviously).

makin moves likes this.
  4. makin moves

makin moves Well-Known Member

That makes more sense. Real word draft would come in at 7-8 on that boat? 2 guys ,one up front and one on back motor out of water. Chances are the v toward the front will touch before the back does. Might be wrong since it has a tunnel, probley squats more in the back.

5. Str8-Six

Str8-Six I Love microskiff.com!

Those are some really impressive numbers especially with a 70, CC and jump seat. Wish my boat floated that shallow. Beautiful rig.

Smackdaddy53 and commtrd like this.
  6. sjrobin

sjrobin I Love microskiff.com!

Good data Keith. Good to know that you are adjusting to the Pro. Would like to see the tape hook on the bottom of the hull though. I will take some measurements this week.

7. commtrd

Yeah I need to measure again it was windy so trying to keep the boat still and not drop the camera in the water and handle the ruler was a challenge. Really wanted to get a real draft measurement but done right needs a couple of guys aboard to get a real world measurement. Anyway she floats fairly shallow and runs skinnier than would be expected normally. By far the most functional boat I have ever owned. There is a bit of a learning curve involved with driving a skiff properly.

On another note I picked up a Norvise to ease into fly tying but need lessons I think as my casting is pathetic. The wind doesn't make it any easier. Boat works really nicely though. Easy on the eyes too! =)

sjrobin likes this.
  8. sjrobin

sjrobin I Love microskiff.com!

I am still learning how to fine tune the Pro after two years/two hundred hours and lots of hours on other skiffs.

MariettaMike and commtrd like this.
  9. Matts

Matts Well-Known Member

I can give casting lessons, no charge:) Looks like Nightawk Bay. Out fin curiosity why did you go with the Pro vs the Guide, which HB touts as a good TX skiff?

10. MariettaMike

MariettaMike Wish'n I was Fish'n!

There is at least 1/2" of rocker in those sponsons so to be accurate you need to place a long straight edge under the boat forward of the transom, and then measure from it going up at the back end of the sponsons with the boat LEVEL. Maybe get some of that blue painters masking tape, put it on boat, and then mark it so all you have to do is take pictures. (Boat/keel has to be level.)

Fritz, commtrd and sjrobin like this.
  11. westsidefly

westsidefly I Love microskiff.com!

I'm not sure I follow...but I think you're saying to measure up from the keel and extend the measurement to the furthermost aft section of the boat. In this case, near the tim tab. Assuming everything is done correctly...it being level and the tunnel compensated for. Sounds good since the Pro has a 3 degree deadrise.

12. commtrd

That is a great idea! Should have thought of that. But I did not know there was rocker in the stern so still wouldn't have measured correctly.

I was originally going to get a Waterman with side console or tiller and didn't consider the Guide but looking at it now I think that may have been the best choice.

13. commtrd

I still love to look at the cool tiller boats on here and that was the original idea for pure simplicity but wife wanted the CC so that's what I ended up getting...

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  14. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

That tunnel is TINY and if you did the volume and floatation calculations I'd put money on less than 1/8" loss of draft spread out over the wetted area of the hull with a guy on bow and stern. It's not as much as people make it out to be. My tunnel is twice as big and loss of draft is less than 1/4".

Fritz and commtrd like this.
  15. lemaymiami

lemaymiami Well-Known Member

Lots of fun, trying to figure out just how much water a given hull needs to float - particularly since it will float higher the moment you get you and any passengers out of it.... and allow it to float with no load at all.

Here's a real world method of being certain with a given load... Simply pole the hull with folks aboard until it drags (or stops...). Now all you need is any straightedge... dip it in the water until it hits bottom and measure the wetted area - particularly at the transom where your hull should be at it's deepest. Most are surprised to see the actual depth where their hull begins to drag and finally is no longer floating... and remember it will change as your load changes... The best part is that you're only measuring actual water depth so you're not measuring the hull at all...

Aren't boats fun?

commtrd, Fritz and Smackdaddy53 like this.
  16. Str8-Six

Str8-Six I Love microskiff.com!

Don't forget about the poling strakes. I found lowest point on skiff by looking underneath while on trailer and using long piece of wood across bottom. I measured Resting draft like below while at ramp, half inch off so really 8" but my boat has more squat at the stern even with battery and trolling motor on bow. Pro looks like it is pretty level so I would say that is pretty accurate and impressive. Hells Bay sure makes em shallow. IMG_0273.JPG

sjrobin and commtrd like this.
  17. commtrd

I was almost certain the boat drafted closer to 8" (still suspect that's the case with two guys / gear / full gas etc.) as a more honest measure.

Smackdaddy53 likes this.