Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1999 HB Guide
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Thinking about planning a trip with my father to Costa Rica to target billfish (he has never caught one). Ideal scenario would be a resort type setup that takes care of everything, just show up at the docks and get on the charter. Neither of our first trips to Costa Rica but this one will be a fishing only bonding trip.

If anyone has had any good experiences that can recommend a resort or at least a charter service that would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Zancudo Lodge in Golfito. Best trip ever for me. Remote setting with great amenities and fantastic fishing. They have a bunch of well maintained step hull contender 32s. Captains are all seasoned and nice. Los Suenos is cool too not as expensive but not quite the personalized experience

·
Panhandler
2,935 Posts
Crocodile Bay in Golfito is another good choice. Los Suenos has charter options at the marina. Here's one:

·
I Love microskiff.com!
41 Posts
If you want the "lodge" experience, I think Zancudo is a great option with an entire fleet of Contenders. I've been to Crocodile as well but think Zancudo edges it out for a couple reasons but I haven't been to Crocodile in 4-5 years and I believe there may have been some improvements to the lodge and the fleet. However, if you want more of the resort experience, Los Suenos is a good family-friendly option with a Marriott on-site as well as many of the charter companies having connections to the condos within the resort. Hop on a golf cart and you're down on the charter dock in a matter of minutes. Nice restaurants within Los Suenos and some really good options in Jaco as well. The Maverick Sportfishing fleet of "Fly Boats" is the larger of the fleets down there and has great crews and top-of-the-line tackle, and I've fished on 3 or 4 of the different boats. They have a large "charter center" right on the dock and take really good care of their guests, and I've sent a bunch of buddies down to fish with them. I can put a vote in for downeastguideservices as well as Bubba Carter on the Tijereta as I've known them from the tournament scene down there as well. Feel free to shoot me a DM if you have any questions

·
Zero Interest
417 Posts
If you aren’t dead set on CR, I would not rule out Guatemala. Sailfish Oasis in particular. You’ll have enough chances to get one in fly depending on the season. January-April is best. Great staff, lodge, the whole nine yards. They take care of everything. Having a stocked cooler for the ride from the airport to the lodge is a nice touch.. Liz and Chris do it right!

Captain Sheeder is a living legend when it comes to fly fishing for billfish. The boat Captain Hook is world renowned as well (Eddie who runs Captain Hook is no slouch either, mating for Ron Hamlin).

Keep in mind this is a fishing trip! You are at the lodge or on the boat. If you want to make a day trip or spend the night in Antigua to make the commute to the airport shorter they can arrange everything.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I spent a number of days with Juan Mora out of Garza about 8 years ago. He put me on huge roosters and a number of sails. He didn’t have a lot of experience with these on the fly but man can he find fish. the price was very reasonable and I enjoyed the time with him. He is pretty famous in the region, “Juan Cowboy”. You can find him on Facebook. I did land a monster pacific sail on the fly and had numerous shots at others.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I booked the Dragin Fly out of Los Suenos marina through www.downeastguideservice.com a few years ago when I was down there for my brother's bachelor party. The captain and crew were top notch. It was during the low season the week or two before hurricane Irma, and we still managed 3 sails and 2 marlin during one day trip.

·
Registered
1999 HB Guide
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input guys! Getting fired up just looking at these options.

·
Registered
1999 HB Guide
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So the Guatemala options look pretty awesome. I have never traveled there before. Can anyone speak to how things are down there safety/sketchy wise?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
290 Posts
Please take this with a grain of salt. Never been to Guatemala but deal with a lot of stuff related to the area at work. If I were going to the area, Costa Rica and Panama would cause me little to no concern. Guatemala is a 3rd world country and a definite step up on the sketchometer.

·
Panhandler
2,935 Posts
The one lodge I fished in Guatemala had armed guards outside the walls, if that is any indication. But I never felt unsafe and we spent some evenings in the local town without problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts