Costa problems :-(

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by noeettica, Feb 17, 2010.

1. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

This is a Qoute from elsewwhere but so noted ... btw: Don't kill the messenger ....

Just wanted to let everyone know about my experience so they could be aware of my experience when making their next sunglass purchase. I ordered a set of frameless Costa's called Ballast's. Within a month the plastic lens started to crack at the nose screws that join the bridge to the lens. After sending them back in (at my expense), I find out that they have realized they had a problem and have changed the design of the glasses. I informed them that I did not trust the design any more. I didn't want to be paying shipping back and forth several times a year every time they broke, and wanted a framed style instead. I picked a set that were exactly the same cost as the ones I returned and they told me there would be a $69 charge for the new frames. I told them this was rediculous and I wanted to talk to a supervisor. They had a super call me back the next day and tell me that the tech was correct and they were just doing me a FAVOR letting out of the other POS style to begin with. I'm going to write a letter to them, but with this kind of attitude, they aren't a company I want to do business with!

2. skinnywater3

skinnywater3 Well-Known Member

Why bring this chit to the MS forum

3. Gramps

Gramps Living & Dying in 3/4 Time

He's just giving us a heads up. What is wrong with that?  I have two pairs of Costa's and thankfully have not needed the warranty.  If I had a pair similar to the glasses noted in the story I would keep an eye on that problem, and it is nice to know what pitfalls may be out there with a given product/company/customer service.

It is quite obvious the author is venting and angry with the company. I'm sure our membership would not see him as bashing Costa :cool:

4. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Might be another topic for a Microskiff review.
    Side by side comparison of polarized sunglasses.
    From cheap to expensive, which works best for the price?
    And how much difference is there between a $30 pair and a $150 pair?

I wonder if a camera could be set up to take a picture through the lense of each brand?
    That'd give a true side by side comparison.

5. skinny_water

skinny_water Well-Known Member

Thats the policy of the company. If you want to change frames it cost $, if you want a replacement it's free. Oh, and last I heard it cost $90 to change frames....soooo, he is really getting a deal.

6. noeettica

A Shoot out would be great !

How bad IS the cheap stuff ???

http://www.sunglasswarehouse.com/posu.html?sort=orderby&page=2

We may be suprised ...

I Love Several sunglasses BUT I loose and break them so I just buy cheapies ... For the boat ...

Anybody deal with Gargoyles ?

Dave

7. FSUfisher

FSUfisher Well-Known Member

I have another spin on that. I broke the lens on my Costas a few years ago and sent them in. It cost money, but oh well, it was my own fault they were broken. I was told right off the bat it would take up to six weeks to get to them as the company was busy with repair orders (WTH?). To make a long story short, after almost three months and numerous worthless calls to check on the status of my glasses, I became increasingly irritable.

I am very laid back 99% of the time, but when I sincerely feel someone is pulling something over on me, I get pretty upset. At the third month I called them back and let it rip at the poor woman on the other end of the line. I gave them my loyalty story, including the sticker on my pickup truck, the recommendations I had given to others (even bought a pair for a buddy after I broke his Oakleys), and how it was all for naught. I tell you, I let her have it.

Three days later, a brand new pair of MP2s popped up in my mail, free of charge. Years later, I still proudly wear my Cost Del Mars. The customer service may be iffy, but it IS there if you look for it!

8. HighSide25

HighSide25 Well-Known Member

i had sent in two pairs to them at one time. one pair had a broken frame/crushed lens. the other had missing lens. the first pair also was starting to delaminate, so i put that on the work order. Well 65$ later i got 2 pairs of glasses back. they only charged me for the 2nd pair of glasses to get repaired.

right now i have a pair that is broken, but i am using a $50 pair off brand and they seem to be about 95% as good as regular costas.

9. Taterides

Taterides Well-Known Member

Costa service is not as free as it used to be.But even in these time they handled a claim last week for me that I was happy with.

10. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

Tate,
    Did you mail them or drop them off and what was the turn around time for ya???

11. HaMm3r

HaMm3r Well-Known Member

Good question. I was thinking about dropping mine off in Daytona, and was wondering if anyone here had tried that instead of shipping them. I'd rather not be without them for weeks...

12. Taterides

Taterides Well-Known Member

Mailed them. Took about 2 weeks from ship date to get them home. Not that bad.

13. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Have a pair of fathoms for many years and the rubber rotted several times and sent them back (my nickle) and they always warranteed their product and I even received a letter stating that they are sorry for the defective manufacturing. Two times ago I sent them back to them and I ended up paying $65 for two pieces of rubber that is glued onto the frame...but I got a different lens. Back it goes at my nickle...took another to get it right. The last time I sent them they wanted $80 and I disagreed and even provided the letter from the company that they are aware that their product is defective and it is covered by warranty - NOT! Even with written proof it will cost you to get any work done from them...

I gave up on them and bought a pair of Habervision. Check this out - I drove over my glasses with my truck and I called to order a new pair and the salesman said to mail them back to them and they will replace them. I explained that I drove over them and they are smashed! He said that the glasses are warranted and it would not be a problem. Guess what - I got new glasses after driving over them. Good luck in the future with Costa's.

14. noeettica

WOW ! Habervision may be a great alternative !!! 60 clams aint bad !!!

Dave

15. backwaterbandits

backwaterbandits Well-Known Member

I wear the Fit-Overs over my prescription
    glasses but I have friends that have had good
    luck with the Flying Fisherman brand for about
    $60-70.00....

16. aaronshore

aaronshore Well-Known Member

DONT GO TO DROP THEM OFF AT THE FACTORY!!!! You will be disappointed. Mail order only for returns. I bought a pair of the Blackfins and a few weeks later the rubber around the frames started to come off. They wanted me to mail them in with $30. I will never again buy a pair of Costa's. Their customer service is the worst.

17. noeettica

Ding Ding Ding ! Another Contendah ...

Thanxx dave

18. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Dave,

The habers are $60-$80 with GLASS lenses and photocromatic...very nice when getting off the water and hitting the watering hole...you won't walk into so many walls. Love them.