Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much does everyone spend maintaining their skiff. I'm trying to do a little budgeting and figure out the all in costs of ownership.

How does the age affect the cost? How does size or skiff and motor affect the cost? Other factors?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
It depends on how it's rigged and stored . Un covered everything turns to crap quickly !

Covered You will be replacing the cover every 3 years

Under roof at least with cover is a great choice ...

Fresh water = less $$$

Salt = More $$$

Average costs for a small skiff = about $300 a year + registration

But if you are like most of us you will be constantly adding stuff which = more $$$

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My options are to get a skiff and trailer and fit it in a garage that's 19.5 ft or add a fence around a portion of our front yard and have as much room as I want but with a cover of some sort.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,300 Posts
IMHO, there are two maxims to follow with boats...

1) Keep it Simple
2) The More You Use It the Longer It Will Last
3) Store it in a garage, boat storage, etc. Keep it out of the sun.

100 hour service kit, thread seal, spin on fuel filters, anodes, four cycle oil/filter, salt away acid flush, boat wash, PTFE non-skid soap.... $500/yr DIY

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
If you keep it simple and store it in a garage, the maintenance is not very much. There is motor maintenance that is required but it comes down to how much you run it. Obviously if you can learn motor work yourself, you'll come out even cheaper.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,259 Posts
3) Store it in a garage, boat storage, etc. Keep it out of the sun.
True. I kept my flats boat in covered storage and it was nice to be able to make good use of the onboard charger system.

Maybe add a #4 - Store it close to home so that you actually use it frequently. :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
$500 every 100 hours. DIY saves big on this cost.

Wash/wax 3 times per year, $15 a foot. Store it out of the sun and DIY then the cost goes way down.

Insurance $350 or so per year. Depends on the boat and coverage but this is for good coverage on an 18'.

I end up with another $100 per month in unexpected repairs over time. The repair amount goes way down the fewer electronics a boat has. Power pole, trolling motor, plotter, radio, etc all break over time.

Gas. We burn 5-10 or so gallons per trip but we have a 40 minute run out and back to fishing grounds.

Trailer maintenance. I have a trailer but never use it so no idea here. Cannot imagine it is much.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I would say it's usually not the routine maintenance that I spend the most on. It's the unexpected. Like lost push pole, new GPS, more fly rods, ect. The boat and hull are cheap in comparison.

·
BBA Counselor
6,915 Posts
There are always incidentals you don't account for. I would say that even though my boats have been simple I would give you an honest answer of $500-1000, not including insurance.

·
Registered
609 Posts
My 100hr service on my 30 zuke was $28 diy. Coming up on the 200hr shortly so I figure that one will be closer to $100 with spark plugs and an impeller. In the last two years I’ve only replaced a $90 battery and tightened the nut on a ground wire when my trim tabs started glitching in heavy chop. I also run the skiff multiple times a week a lot of the time, and I have only ever used rec 90 in the tank.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,717 Posts
It's probably better to calculate the opportunity cost of NOT having a boat....Or multiple boats :) See....you are actually saving money.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,975 Posts
It depends on how it's rigged and stored . Un covered everything turns to crap quickly !

Covered You will be replacing the cover every 3 years

Under roof at least with cover is a great choice ...

Fresh water = less $$$

Salt = More $$$

Average costs for a small skiff = about $300 a year + registration

But if you are like most of us you will be constantly adding stuff which = more $$$
Insurance for a $15,000.00 skiff where I live is $300.00...

·
BBA Counselor
6,915 Posts
The reality is no one really likes admitting they had to spend money on something that should be simple and reliable. And most guys will forget they spent money, or try to mentally block it out.

I had a friend recently tell me he hasn't done anything but put gas in his bayboat in a year. I start talking about rigging and all of a sudden he remembered he dropped in a new steering cable, but says that's nothing. Later on I tell him I'm tired of replacing Attwood pumps, magically he recalls replacing 2 rule pumps. By the end he remembered he replaced a battery and had to get service on the power pole too.

Boat stands for Bust Out Another Thousand. Ownership has costs. You can minimize these in some ways. A Jon boat with a 10 hp kicker, while you toss artificial baits will be cheap. A decent quality skiff outfitted with toys will cost you near as much as a larger boat, just in a smaller foot print.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,429 Posts
How much does everyone spend maintaining their skiff. I'm trying to do a little budgeting and figure out the all in costs of ownership.

How does the age affect the cost? How does size or skiff and motor affect the cost? Other factors?

Thanks.
Oof! How you keep and store it, as well as rinsing it down each time you use it, as well as all the PM you do to keep it running and looking it's best, can be the difference between a good looking, great running vessel vs one that looks like a turd, depreciates constantly and is a bucket load of problems! Basically, it's the difference between spending dimes and quarters with a little elbow grease vs dollars on investment lost, as well as all the aggravation it caused!

So IDK of a dollar value of what it cost. But if you want to keep a decent boat decent, then it's going to take a commitment and money to keep it maintained. So just know that when you need to get something for it, or, do something to it to keep it up, then just do it! That's better than being lazy and not doing anything to it and not taking care of it, cause it will not service you well and turn to crap eventually.

Your best bet is to find a great, reasonable marine mechanic, marine electrician, a great glass guy, find good sources to find parts and supplies to maintain it and read and learn all you can.

All that being said, there is a wealth of information stored here and a community of guys here that will help you with solving just about any problem you come across with your skiff, here on microskiff! That, my friend, is a fact!

Wait? you still trying to find a $$ number? Forget it. Just buy one (hopefully a good one) and know that you will need to throw money at it here in there. It's just what boat life is all about! But there rewards are endless! :cool:

So be like this guy....

But don't be like this guy....

;)

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,387 Posts
Use it, maintain it, store it under a roof and a boat cover and they aren’t too expensive.
Let it sit, don’t wash it and check fluids and leave it out in the yard in the sun and let leaves, mud daubers and spiders get in it and be prepared to break down on the water and have things break, deteriorate and ruin.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I don't think you can plan this due to the unexpected......stepped on the backest.....re-welded, new powder coat....$650, plus my time which is worse. Non-skid re-done by manufacturer for free (perfect by the way)....1500 to ship it. Cracked a trailer light backing in the garage...$35 and a smile (easy job). Stored inside but the more gadgets you have, the higher the probability of an expense. Did I mention my aluminum was MUCH cheaper? Will I go back to a jon boat....no way. It's way cheaper to hire a guide but a) they don't work on my schedule and b) that's no fun...I need the challenge.

Reactions: flyclimber
1 - 20 of 34 Posts