Corrosion Block vs WD40

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by Megalops, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Megalops

Megalops Rex Kwan Do Dojo

Hey, wanted to ask all the engine guys out there about spraying down the inside of engine (cowling off) which is the best product for preventive maintenance against saltwater corrosion. My engine guy always recommended WD40 ( which I have a ton).  But a quick Google reveals concerns about plastic with WD 40. Does Corrosion Block have the same concerns? Thanks in advance. Also, is it okay to spray battery terminals with either product??

2. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

No wd-40.
    Only spray corosion block on electrical terminals and ends, spray the rest with 6-56.

3. jms

jms don't let common sense get in your way

if the corrosion block spray is this:
    http://www.learchem.com/products/corrosion-block.html

you can and should use this product,this product and CRC 656 spray are the only products i'm aware of that will actually neutralize salt and corrosion...

CRC has a wax like spray,people often confuse this product,with what lear research has -those 2 products are not the same...

4. Megalops

Megalops Rex Kwan Do Dojo

Okay, thanks guys. West Marine comes up as a supplier for Corrosion Block so will get some of that and 6-56. Not to beat this in the ground, and Cutrunner I sent u a text message, but 6-56 is listed as a petroleum distillate, which I thought WD40 the same. This stuff is safe to spray all parts of engine, correct? Thanks I'm prolly over thinking this stuff.  :)

5. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Always read the msds for a product before using
    contains information that's often left out of the advertising.

http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf/wd-40aer63152748.pdf

ftp://69.2.51.153/pub/MSDS/290104_MultiPurposeLubricantAerosolMSDS.pdf

http://www.nocorrosion.com/msds-bulk.pdf

6. Creek Runner

Creek Runner Well-Known Member

I'm going to get beat up on this one, but all I use is good ole fresh water. I give it a light rinse under the hood after every use and all my motors still look great. With out all the mess that come along with spray's

I can't stand working on a guys motor that's got snot all over it, and don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about Cut lol!  ;D

7. jms

jms don't let common sense get in your way

that's what's nice about using CRC656 or corrosion block spray - no "snot"...i allways shake my head when i pop the cowling on an outboard and see it sprayed in white grease,or that crc wax stuff...

8. cutrunner

I cant stand that stuff lol. Thats why i like 656, as it doesnt build up, but still dissolves corrosion.

9. TwoKids

TwoKids Well-Known Member

Reviving an old thread, please bear with me... Is a fresh water mist, sun dry followed by a 656 coat still the corrosion inhibiting treatment of choice for engine block corrosion PM? Or is there any new products on the market?

10. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Not new...I've been using Boeshield T-9 for a long time.

11. TwoKids

TwoKids Well-Known Member

Brett - thanks.

Sounds like you can't go wrong with either but does anyone have experience with long term use of both products, T-9 and 656, and in your opinion what did you like better about the one you stick with? What is the frequency in which you reapply?

12. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Doesn't take much Boeshield to do the job.
    I've had the same spray can for about 5 years now.
    Still about a quarter full, just a quick spritz once in a while.

13. Sheremeta

Sheremeta Well-Known Member

Mist of water as stated above works great. Warm water is even better as it dissolves salt faster.

14. cutrunner

If you can mist the motor and then soray it dry with compressed air that's even better. After one trip you should onky be getting very minimal salt water in. And it should be at the bottom of the pan.
    I would still 656 even after the water and air
    It helps lubricate shift cables and throttle springs etc

15. ras78209

ras78209 Everyday is Saturday

The mechanic I used would always spray the engine down with Corrosin X, regular duty not heavy duty. He said to spray it down about every six months. Had that engine/boat for about 7 years and the engine looked factory new.

16. Capt Dan Medina

Capt Dan Medina Well-Known Member

I use corrosion block pretty much exclusively. Spray entire engine every other trip or so....

17. Snookdaddy

Snookdaddy Well-Known Member

What is everyone's opinion on using Silicone Spray for under the hood?

18. cutrunner

Silicone spray is just fine

19. JoseC

JoseC I Love microskiff.com!

has anyone tried strike hold?

They have a demo with a power drill working underwater. supposed to leave a waterproof coating on anything

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcTl1MUOj_s

20. flyfshrmn82

flyfshrmn82 Well-Known Member

You might want to take a look at Fluid Film...

I always sprayed my engines every 6 months with fresh water and a coating of Maguiars HyperDressing...  It's water based, not silicon based.  So it's good on all your rubber hoses and plastic stuff...

[​IMG] 
    [​IMG]