Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I messed up and left the end of my fish finder unit cable unprotected all winter and did not disconnect the battery. I fear that's why it's corroded.

I will not try to plus it in until I've cleaned it a bit so have you any suggestions? Vinegar and a bristle brush?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
278 Posts
After you get it cleaned out use dielectric grease on the male end of the plug before you plug it in. Keep that grease on it and you won't have corrosion (at least at that connection point).

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also forgot to put the little protective rubber cap over it. So, there's a little bit of maintenance that will make a big difference down the road.

·
Brandon, FL
9,947 Posts
After you clean it put dielectric grease on it
You are correct but it will not solve his problem, just slow it down.

That is anodized corrosion and is formed on the positive lead due to a power leak to ground. Stray current ONLY occurs at the point of discharge. It NEVER occurs at the point of entry or along the entire lead.

My guess is the terminals are barely making contact. But in reality not much he can do other than clean and grease it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...That is anodized corrosion and is formed on the positive lead due to a power leak to ground. Stray current ONLY occurs at the point of discharge. It NEVER occurs at the point of entry or along the entire lead...
I wish I understood this all much better. It works for now. I can always buy a new cable...maybe. Should I be disconnecting power to the cable every time? I had forgotten to put the rubber cap back on (in addition to di-E grease). Now that both are on there....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts