Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have pretty limited glass fabrication experience so bear with me here - I want to remove the existing plastic rod holders under the gunnel of my skiff, and replace with glassed-in holders, I just have a couple of questions.

1. Does anyone have a recommendation for a core material that will give me about 1.5" of thickness, without spending a lot of $$$ on a large sheet of foam, coosa, etc?

2. My plan was to cover the core material with a layer of 10oz cloth on each side, then tab it into the skiff with another layer or two of 10oz cloth on each side, all using polyester resin. Is this a decent plan of attack, or am I off track?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,605 Posts
I have pretty limited glass fabrication experience so bear with me here - I want to remove the existing plastic rod holders under the gunnel of my skiff, and replace with glassed-in holders, I just have a couple of questions.

1. Does anyone have a recommendation for a core material that will give me about 1.5" of thickness, without spending a lot of $$$ on a large sheet of foam, coosa, etc?

2. My plan was to cover the core material with a layer of 10oz cloth on each side, then tab it into the skiff with another layer or two of 10oz cloth on each side, all using polyester resin. Is this a decent plan of attack, or am I off track?

Sometimes rod holders are also gunnel supports, if this is NOT the case, and all you want to do is hold up rods, you can use the blue foam from the box store. It's not that expensive and won't melt with epoxy.

I have never tried the blue stuff with polyester resin though, and it may melt. Maybe someone on here can send you a few scraps of carbon core from all these conchfish builds??

·
I Love microskiff.com!
264 Posts
Check with a local boatyard/repair place and see if they have some small scrap sections of Divinycell or similar. Heck, somebody here probably has some. You might find some small pieces on eBay.

Just in case it matters, epoxy is far better for strength for secondary bonding situations like this. I know a lot of repair guys use epoxy for all repairs on poly/glass hulls for this reason. And you can get gel coat to work with epoxy, it’s all about the prep.

Good luck!

·
Administrator
5,908 Posts

do they support the gunnels ?

·
Brandon, FL
10,929 Posts
The short answer is yes. The existing rod holders do not, but the gunnels have a slight flex when you walk on them, so I would like to add glassed in holders to add some support.
Are these the molded plastic kind?

Add a pic

·
Brandon, FL
10,929 Posts
Sometimes rod holders are also gunnel supports, if this is NOT the case, and all you want to do is hold up rods, you can use the blue foam from the box store. It's not that expensive and won't melt with epoxy.

I have never tried the blue stuff with polyester resin though, and it may melt. Maybe someone on here can send you a few scraps of carbon core from all these conchfish builds??
The blue stuff will not melt with epoxy but it has a thin plastic film on both sides that has to be peeled off.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The blue stuff will not melt with epoxy but it has a thin plastic film on both sides that has to be peeled off.
After a little bit of checking around, I can get a sheet of Urethane foam from Fiberglass Florida fairly inexpensive. Will this work for my application, or should I stick with something like Air-Cell (or something else)?

Secondly, will using poly resin create a reliable bond to the hull/ underside of the gunnel, or will it be necessary to use epoxy? As mentioned above, the gunnel doesn't need support necessarily, but I want the new rod holders to bond everything together and reinforce it. After this project is complete I plan to roll fresh gelcoat in the entire cockpit, so using epoxy was a concern.

The skiff is a Mitzi, so the factory rod holders were just a white starboard type material glued to the hull. One was already broken when I got the boat so I removed them and sanded the area clean for a fresh start.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
264 Posts
After a little bit of checking around, I can get a sheet of Urethane foam from Fiberglass Florida fairly inexpensive. Will this work for my application, or should I stick with something like Air-Cell (or something else)?

Secondly, will using poly resin create a reliable bond to the hull/ underside of the gunnel, or will it be necessary to use epoxy? As mentioned above, the gunnel doesn't need support necessarily, but I want the new rod holders to bond everything together and reinforce it. After this project is complete I plan to roll fresh gelcoat in the entire cockpit, so using epoxy was a concern.

The skiff is a Mitzi, so the factory rod holders were just a white starboard type material glued to the hull. One was already broken when I got the boat so I removed them and sanded the area clean for a fresh start.
That urethane foam they sell looks like an insulation type foam not structural. I’d call them and ask. Polyester resin should be ok as long as it’s compatible with the fabric and core you choose.

They have Aircell foam core which is fairly cost effective and compatible with polyester. A lot of suppliers sell half sheets of core.

Another thought is to get some marine plywood and epoxy. Cover with a light cloth, fair, prime and paint. It would be cheap and fast.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
264 Posts
That urethane foam they sell looks like an insulation type foam not structural. I’d call them and ask. Polyester resin should be ok as long as it’s compatible with the fabric and core you choose.

They have Aircell foam core which is fairly cost effective and compatible with polyester. A lot of suppliers sell half sheets of core.

Another thought is to get some marine plywood and epoxy. Cover with a light cloth, fair, prime and paint. It would be cheap and fast.
Just a thought, A great source for materials and help, https://boatbuildercentral.com/wp/
They are in Ft Pierce. I’d call them up and run your situation by them. Also, If you post your project in the boat repair section of their forum you’ll get a lot of real good feedback.

·
Brandon, FL
10,929 Posts

If your going to support the cap then you need to make these strong and the core is not the critical aspect. When you build these the fiberglass skins will be the structural aspect, not the foam.

Poly resin will be fine.

Find a boat yard that is local and see if you can buy some scraps. Another way as stated above is to use a wood that is good with water.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
20 Posts

I used iso board foam from the local roofing supply house. (ABC supply). It was only like $18 for a 4x8 sheet. It is 2" thick and I shaped it with a jigsaw and dremmel tool then glassed them. After that I tabbed them in under the gunnels. Solid as a rock. This was on an FS-18 Build.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used iso board foam from the local roofing supply house. (ABC supply). It was only like $18 for a 4x8 sheet. It is 2" thick and I shaped it with a jigsaw and dremmel tool then glassed them. After that I tabbed them in under the gunnels. Solid as a rock. This was on an FS-18 Build.
Great feedback. Did you use poly resin, no issues melting the foam?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts