Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been awhile, We posted the build of this skiff almost 11 years ago on this site. Well my Son Cru turns 16 this week and wanted to refresh the skiff and add some updates that would fit his style more. We have more time on the water with this little skiff than all our boat combined.

He has started the tear down, removing poling platform, wiring, motor...... The skiff is down south at "The Skiff Shop" for glass work and mods (I am sure more will be added). The removable deck with bait well will be removed and replaced with a bulkhead in the same position. He wants a larger release well, as he loves doing tournaments. They will add glassed in rod holders under the gunnels and make the front bulkhead stronger with rod tubes forward. Glass in current nav light area. New gelcoat and two-tone nonskid.

Cru is wanting to have a front casting platform built to the same height at the poling. Add the front nav lights into the casting platform. This will be a hard mounted platform built around font hatch allowing an angler to fish in front of it (if both on bow Trolling motor). Looking to move up to a 24v Ipilot with lithium battery to help with weight. he is looking to have the foot control added (not sure if anyone has used, would love some feed back) because it seems you always get the hit when messing with remote.

Still keeping power simple with just a repower of a new 30hp tohatsu tiller. At the end of day I know would be easier and cheaper to buy new but this boat he has fished for 11 years and sooo many memories that we can not let her go.
IMG_7589.JPG
IMG_1808.JPG
IMG_1813.JPG
IMG_1818.JPG
IMG_1825.JPG
IMG_1827.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Very cool, the skiff is in good hands for the glass work!

Reactions: makin moves and DJ

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,122 Posts
Those first gen copperheads are probably one of the best poling characteristics boats I have had or been on.
Rigged with a light motor like yours is the ideal setup for them.

I always hated the cheapness/construction of that rear box on mine glad you are fixing it.

I feel like that hull was way better than the gen 2 copperhead and the popularity of running the 60hp class on it. I think a 30-40 is perfect.

·
Skull Island 16
235 Posts
I am getting old, doesn't feel like the copperhead has been around that long haha. That's awesome, keeping the skiff and redoing it! It's going to be better then new when it's done! I love seeing the life restored in skiffs.

Look forward to the updates!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts