Copperhead and SUV Owners - Step Up!

Discussion in 'Events, Open Houses, Shows' started by paint it black, Nov 18, 2011.

1. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

A few of us South Florida guys have been talking about making a Flamingo trip. And I have read others post on here about setting something up. But it hasn't gone further than that.
    I say we use this thread to set something up. I know there's several of us down here that are up for a Flamingo/Whitewater Bay trip. As far as fishing goes, I know the area pretty well. At least the areas that I fish.

In the winter, there are fish all over the interior of Whitewater Bay. As long as you understand winter fishing, you should be fine. I say base out of Flamingo Marina camp site. and explore both Florida Bay and Whitewater Bay.

Possible Catches: Bonefish, Redfish, Snook, Tarpon, black drum, Sheapsheads, Trout, Permit, Gag Grouper, Jewfish, and much more!

I know Pandion knows the campsites throughout the park very well. Maybe he can give some info on Chickee's.
    I'd like to stay at chickee a night or two. I know Cape Sable beaches are great for camping. And Ryan (High and Dry) knows that area well too.

Lets make something happen.

I know us South Florida guys will be there. I'm putting this on here to include anyone else who wants to join!

2. Charlie

Charlie I Love microskiff.com!

Howdy PIB. The one problem the Chickee's always pose are the parks party limits, besides the person limit. As far as I know, there is no chickee with over a two party limit unless somethings been chnged recently. So more than two boats cannot stay on the same chickee at one time.

This being said, there are a few chickees that are relativly close togeather. For instance the upper joe, oyster bay, and shark river are all fairly close (basically the distance of oyster bay appart). Additionall, there are a couple in Hells bay that I have not yet explored that are relativly close togeather. So if a few boats wanted to have a moring meeting place after staying on different chickees, then that is def do-able.

Beach camping is the best thing from a kayak, but I have yet to try it on a boat. Large party limits plus the ability to light fires make it a very tempting option, though. As always, I believe ground sites should be avioded at all cost. Every one I've stayed at has had terrible bugs (even in 40 degree weather!!!!) and mud, a def buzz kill  :-/

I really like the sound of this and would love to come along if something does get put togeather.  :)

3. mdiaz707@gmail.com

mdiaz707@gmail.com I Love microskiff.com!

will this be an exclusive Ankona only thing? if not would love to jump on board.

Have tried to get some threads going on a camping trip but like you said they have just died off.

4. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

As long as you wear your Ankona underwear you should be fine
    :D..
    Jokes aside, sounds like a good trip, good luck..

5. out-cast

out-cast Well-Known Member

Wear can I get said underwear? I'm down.

6. paint it black

I am aware of that. I figure everyone split up to certain areas they want to explore and just have a meet up point for lunch somewhere. or something like that.

7. Charlie

Sounds like we're good to go then. In terms of personal recomendation, my favorites are the Harney river, the Oyster bay, and the Roger Rivers chickee. Rogers may be a strech for smaller micros, but the rest are very accesible. Just watch out for Henry the Hungry Aliigator who hangs by Rogers  :eek:

8. paint it black

Its funny how just a year ago, "us south florida guys" just meant you and I. Now it's tripled in size, and I know a couple more that will be soon, too.

Ryan (poontoon) is in. So is Ryan (high and dry). I spoke to both of them last night in a conference call...lol
    Last week when Anthony(saltyguy) stopped by to check out my skiff, he told me he was definitely up for it. If you guys are up for it, we can get something together.
    The way I see it, Ryan, Ryan, Anthony and myself are doing something regardless. Even if it's just head down to Flamingo for a day, do some fishing, then meet back up afterward to hang out and talk smack. The more that show interest, the better the planning and outcome would be.

9. High + Dry Adventures

High + Dry Adventures Welcome to the family!

I'm in.

To get everyone together, we should do a bigger campsite. Even if is for lunch. East cape is nice.  I am familiar with most of the Mingo campsites.  Cane patch is big but far. Graveyard could be cool or shark river. Maybe it really doesnt matter as long as we get out there.

Going to chuck on Thurs to check out a few more campsites and fishing areas

PIB. Let me know about Mingo. Gotta get some pics of these Copperheads cruising. If its just Ryan, Anthony, you and I plus the fishing parteners...anywhere will do.

If we go up north. Watsons place is BA. A little history lesson at lunch too. Lol

:D

10. paint it black

5 copperhead would make for a nice run. Let me know.

11. lemaymiami

lemaymiami Well-Known Member

That Graveyard creek site might be just the ticket for a group of boats since I see Outwards Bound and Boy Scout groups there regularly. The downside to Graveyard is that it's on the ground with all the critters that implies and on a winter low can be pretty much land locked on low tide (unless you run out of the back door to the north then east...).

12. MATT

MATT Well-Known Member

If your at Flamingo you could try to get Mel to drive there and BBQ for the day.....Also it would make it nice for the "day tripers" and I bet some nice photo opportunies.

The Flamingo Campground is located at the end of the main park road in Flamingo. It has 234 drive-in sites (55 with a view of the water), 3 walk-up group sites (on the water's edge), and 40 walk-up sites (9 on the water's edge). It also provides cold water showers, two dump stations, picnic tables, grills, and an amphitheater for winter programs.
    As of January 15, 2011, there are 41 sites in the T-Loop with electrical hookups.  Flamingo has several hiking trails and canoe trails, and opportunities for saltwater fishing are plentiful

Just Sayingggggggg......

13. Shadowcast

Shadowcast Ankona Sales Rep

Critters??

14. TheBrazilNut

TheBrazilNut Guest

Plus it feels like staying at the Ritz then camping in the back country.

15. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

[movedhere] General Discussion [move by] iMacattack.

16. lemaymiami

lemaymiami Well-Known Member

Between the bugs, the racoons, and the occasional big 'gator that site has a high potential for "entertainment"...

A few years back I went bow in to drop off a young couple when the lady needed a Porta-Potti... It had taken her over an hour or two of discomfort before she was willing to use that facility. Imagine the results when just after they stepped on ground a very large 'gator came strolling out from behind the only Porta-Pottie there... I think the young lady believed that I knew that critter was there since she didn't speak to me the rest of the day.... By the way you'll need some serious tiedowns for coolers on any land site since the racoons will really eat everything in your cooler otherwise.

17. Charlie

I don't know how recently you to stayed there, but earlier this month when I went they had REALLY let it go. Only two lots were open (A and C) and they were no longer mowing the grass. Additionally, many of the stoves have broken and are lying on their sides. Only plus was the A loop was free. It was kinda depressing see as it used to be a very nice camp ground..... :'(

18. High + Dry Adventures

High + Dry Adventures Welcome to the family!

Going on Thurs to check out a few more campsites. taking the rods of course. lol :D

19. paint it black

I'm trying to get back out to Flamingo tomorrow if I find someone who wants to go.

20. MATT

MATT Well-Known Member

if one of you could get some pic's it may help to figor out what would work best. I was just thinking about the Day tripers and kids that may want to camp but still be near the bathrooms and docks.