Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m considering a Yeti Tundra 35 to sit in front of the center console on a Heron 16. I’d put a snap-on upholstered pad on the lid so it could do double-duty as a seat. The cushion can snap off and the cooler could be used as a casting platform on the front deck.

On the other hand, in an effort to conserve cockpit space (and weight) I’m thinking of ditching the cooler/seat plan, and getting a small soft-side Yeti (Hopper 12) to stash in a storage compartment. I don’t foresee needing to ice down more than a dozen drinks...and don’t need a large cooler as I’m about 90% catch and release.

Have any of you that own a smallish skiff come up with a preference your happy with. I just don’t want to order the Yeti Tundra 35 and cushion, only to leave it in the truck because it’s heavy and takes up space. It’s about the same price ($249) as the Hopper 12.

Reactions: nautilott

·
Registered
'04 HB Devilray Merc 25 HP
1,046 Posts
I have a Yeti Roadie, No straps for a seat for a person up front. I think my boat be smaller than your 16. Used for all the above.

When used for a casting platform, if the cooler is full its stable. When its empty you better be more nibble than a mouse stealing cheese from a trap.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
I have a Yeti Roadie, No straps for a seat for a person up front. I think my boat be smaller than your 16. Used for all the above.

When used for a casting platform, if the cooler is full its stable. When its empty you better be more nibble than a mouse stealing cheese from a trap.
What’s that 20qt Roadie hold about two tallboys and a couple slices of summer sausage? I thought the 30 was tiny!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Since I C&R 95% of the time I dropped the hard side cooler and went to a soft side Rtic 20. I didn’t want the constant weight of a heavier cooler when it wasn’t needed.

On the rare occasion that I want to keep a few fish I use either a soft side Rtic 40 (b/c I have one already and it’s plenty big to stash acouple trout or a red. Although the will be “bent”) or a small hard side cooler.

I should note that I do have a casting platform so I do not need the double duty of a cooler to stand on and be... well... a cooler.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
685 Posts
I have a Yeti 45. It's alright but it's heavy as hell and while it still has ice in it from Irma you can't fit a whole lot in it since the insulation takes up so much damn room. I almost wish they sold a lighter, thinner walled, cheaper version that was still strong enough to stand on yet had a little more internal space. Like 99% of the time I just need to keep a six pack and a few sandwiches cold for a day or two tops.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
I have a Yeti 45. It's alright but it's heavy as hell and while it still has ice in it from Irma you can't fit a whole lot in it since the insulation takes up so much damn room. I almost wish they sold a lighter, thinner walled, cheaper version that was still strong enough to stand on yet had a little more internal space. Like 99% of the time I just need to keep a six pack and a few sandwiches cold for a day or two tops.
Buy a $16 Coleman, screw a piece of starboard to the lid and use frozen bottles of water.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts