Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Cooler locking tie down options?

6K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Scott Kor 
#1 ·
Anyone have examples/diy ideas of how to lock a cooler down so it doesn't get stolen while running into a gas station for 5 min?
Limited car space and sick of pulling it in/out.

I cant afford the Deny locking tie downs, but I love the idea.

Haven't purchased the new cooler yet, I like lifetime latches the best and price is even better but handles are rope which doesn't work for this idea. I will consider any other coolers with design features that enable to lock it down.

Location will be in front of CC, so flush mount isn't necessary.

#6 ·
Frostys look nice, never heard of them before but Lifetime brand is by far lowest price at $97 for a 55q or $147 for the 75q. And the flip style latch is far superior to stretching the rubber T handles on all other coolers Ive used.
But, it does not have the Yeti pocket under the lid so a stainless bar would impede the seal.

I like the rubber coated chain idea for temp solution, good input.

Im aiming for a clean, stunning result. I can fabricate most anything, just need some ideas on the lock set up- a cylinder from a job box maybe..

Thanks

#5 ·
I went out on a buddy’s boat and stopped at the station to grab some bait and cookies. While we were in there for less than 5 mins, someone stole his only custom made rod given to him by his daughter for Father’s Day. Since that day, we both make it an extra effort to not display anything in the boat for 5 finger discounts. Everything is either stored in a hatch, locker, vehicle, etc. I know it’s a PITA, and not the answer you’re looking for, but it’s worked for us the past few years with nothing missing when we get to the ramp.

Anything you do to make it harder/more time consuming/obvious that a thief is trying to take something, the less likely they are to even attempt it in public. Good luck! We all hate a thief!

#13 ·
"How the F does a cooler company sell out of their only product? That is like McDonalds running out of hamburgers."

they order a container (or several) of them from China and when they're gone they are gone until a new batch can be made and shipped over on the slow boat. btw, china shuts down manufacturing for the entire month of February each year.

#15 ·
Direct from website

Like other major competitors, Frosty products are made in China in order to provide the best quality at the lowest price to you, the consumer. Just like many of the outdoor products you will buy at your favorite sporting goods store; overseas manufacturing is a cost effective way for retailers to provide an affordable product to its customers.

#16 ·
I saw a product on Shark Tank that I thought would be perfect for the security application that you are looking for. The product is called lockstraps. They are straps with a thin security cable running through them. My idea was that I could use one instead of the standard tie down strap that came with my Yeti. Many Yeti knock off coolers feature the same strap slot on both ends, that are used to hold the cooler to the deck. It's just an idea at this point. I have not researched this product any further. See the link below.

https://lockstraps.com/products/locking-tie-down-strap-2-5-foot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.