Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a roto molded cooler they are using for a casting platform. Is taking the cooler on and off the boat a huge pain in the butt? I can get the hardware for attaching it but it needs to go over my front hatch that has trolling motor battery, life jackets etc in there. Maybe too much for the height I am gaining? Any thoughts from someone using a cooler that way. Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I stand on a yeti 45, advantage for looking in the water is significant.
Do you move it off the boat every time you get done fishing? I'm guessing it would be worth the hassle from what you're saying. Thanks

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,366 Posts
I sometimes use my Engel 25-qt. cooler as a casting platform, without tie-downs. Only do it when it's calm, but the height advantage/visibility is worthwhile. It offers solid footing and I do move it around. It's not too heavy to lift even when full. When it's not on the bow, it's on the port side near the front bulkhead to balance the weight with my side console. I've had a couple boats with dedicated casting platforms and never used them much and they always seemed to be in the way. The cooler alternative offers the best solution for my style of fishing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sometimes use my Engel 25-qt. cooler as a casting platform, without tie-downs. Only do it when it's calm, but the height advantage/visibility is worthwhile. It offers solid footing and I do move it around. It's not too heavy to lift even when full. When it's not on the bow, it's on the port side near the front bulkhead to balance the weight with my side console. I've had a couple boats with dedicated casting platforms and never used them much and they always seemed to be in the way. The cooler alternative offers the best solution for my style of fishing.
Thanks I appreciate the input. I am going to strap it down. I am a fat old man and want it to be stable. This is what I'm going to go with. Thanks

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,366 Posts
Kennedy has a good rep and a lot of users on here. (y)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have used a Yeti 45 on the front of the boat and it provides a great sight advantage and stable platform. That said, I have also had a Yeti 45 swiped off the boat while sitting on its trailer so I'd recommend getting one you feel comfortable standing on and are willing to take on and off every time you're done.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Do you move it off the boat every time you get done fishing? I'm guessing it would be worth the hassle from what you're saying. Thanks
yes, I have the Kennedy stainless tie downs, worth every penny. don't mess with straps, I tried them all.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
175 Posts
I used to use a yeti roadie for my casting platform on my old skiff. Then I’d have a bigger yeti 65 in the cockpit in front of the console. I used the roadie for my beer and water as well as casting platform and used the bigger cooler for all my fish and a dry box when needed. It worked out great but on my next skiff I’ll have a 35 as the casting platform. I used Yeti’s tie down kit and it worked perfectly. Wasn’t a pain at all I actually found it really convenient and comfortable. I do recommend getting some seadek on there if your gonna be standing on it.
8C292553-BB73-44DA-A163-C27ABF1C83C8.jpeg
33B56B73-9BAB-4486-BE5E-8A1578A35D3F.png

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yetis are heavy. And are not made to stand on. You better stay centered or it will roll. The feet are inboard from the edge. I have been using mine as a platform since about 07 I think.

·
Registered
2019 Jackson Mayfly, 2018 Jackson Kilroy DT
386 Posts
I used to use a yeti roadie for my casting platform on my old skiff. Then I’d have a bigger yeti 65 in the cockpit in front of the console. I used the roadie for my beer and water as well as casting platform and used the bigger cooler for all my fish and a dry box when needed. It worked out great but on my next skiff I’ll have a 35 as the casting platform. I used Yeti’s tie down kit and it worked perfectly. Wasn’t a pain at all I actually found it really convenient and comfortable. I do recommend getting some seadek on there if your gonna be standing on it. View attachment 157815 View attachment 157816
Yuengling Light? Tastes like water but with less flavor!😁

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yep. I use my yeti 45 when I'm feeling frisky. I have the tie downs but if it's one of my buddies on the boat they're usually sure footed enough to not need them. I will ask clients as to their preference, however, and always bring the straps just incase they change their minds. I like having the option to shift weight around. Plus it makes me walk for my cold beers when the wife and I are out on the weekends. Gotta stay in shape ;)

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I have toyed with the idea of drilling a hole in center of cooler and with a large SS fender washer, rubber washer and a bolt of some sort. Mount cooler to the platform anchor I have now. What little cooler water there is. Is not under pressure. So it won’t leak.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I purchased the Orca 45 strictly because it was taller than all of the competition. That cooler on my L2Fish paddleboard is game changer for sight casting! It allows me to spot fish from a good distance away and enables me to sneak into position without loosing sight of the fish or spooking it. Some use tie down straps for stability but I have yet to fall into the water and am not moving fast enough to worry about it sliding off. Mounting a Power-Pole foot switch to the top right corner of the cooler lid to work with my Power-Pole Micro Anchor was probably the best mod! Anyone ever been pulled into the mangroves by a fish because they don't have enough hands to press the down button on the remote?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone for their thoughts. I ordered the cooler tie downs from Kennedy and will leave the cooler on the skiff. I am on a boat lift and hopefully no one comes down the canal in the middle of the night and steals it. Like OED says I think it will be a game changer for sight casting. Thanks all, appreciate the help.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts