Converting Yamaha 50hp to Tiller

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by Bonecracker, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Bonecracker

Bonecracker Well-Known Member

Interested in a great low hour 2005 Yamaha 50hp 2 stroke that is set up with standard controls! What is involved with converting this motor over to a Tiller setup?? Cost??

2. jmrodandgun

jmrodandgun Well-Known Member

I just did one for a friend. It was about $650 in parts.

You're going to need to be handy with a wiring diagram and multi meter. Other than that, it's pretty straight forward.

3. Vertigo

Vertigo Carpe Diem

You'll need the Yamaha tiller plus the specific adapter kit for your motor. As noted above, the whole deal will run about $650, and the conversion is pretty easy. Hardest part is getting the right parts for what you need. The safest way is to go to a Yamaha dealer with a good parts department.

4. Bonecracker

Bonecracker Well-Known Member

5. Otter

Otter Active Member

Post an add on CL selling your controls. When I sold my side console I traded a guy straight up for my controls for his tiller controls. Only thing I had to buy was a wiring harness for like $15. I mean its always worth a shot. The way I look at it is theres at least 2 people to every one wanting to get rid of a tiller rather than go to one. Just my 2cents.

6. senorbuckley

senorbuckley Active Member

I just converted a 2004 yamaha 50TLRD, same motor. Was very easy to do, you will need the Yamaha deluxe tiller and the 40/50 (2stroke) fit kit which is part #6X4-42102-61-00.

I did mine about a month ago and no one had the fit kit in stock I called 8 different parts suppliers and they all said it would be 3-4 weeks out of Japan. After settling on waiting 3 days goes by and Boats.net calls me and said they actually found they had one left so I got lucky. Hopefully a few parts merchants have this kit in stock, but be prepared for bad news, I guess not a lot of people (real men) convert to tiller.

By the way the deluxe Yammy tiller is awesome!

7. senorbuckley

senorbuckley Active Member

If anyone is interested my Yamaha multifunction tiller is for sale along with the fitment kit for 40/50 2 strokes. everything is mint condition with about 10-15 hours on it (772) 584-2924

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    cooyoon likes this.
  8. cooyoon

cooyoon Member

senorbuckley: do you still have your multifunction tiller for sell and do you know if it will fit a 2000 25/3? the original tiller handle is a little to short for my boat. thanks