Converting to Bearing Buddies

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by TomFL, Nov 30, 2009.

1. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Today I replaced the hubs on the trailer, and would like to add a set of bearing buddies. The axle on the trailer has a zerk fitting on the end of the axle, but for a couple reasons I'd like to just go to the bearing buddies.

Can I just remove the zerk fitting and run the buddies with this type of axle? I've never installed them on an axle with a built-in zerk.

-T

2. out-cast

out-cast Well-Known Member

What are your reasons? I wanted to do this in the past but was talked out of it by a trusted trailer parts company.

3. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

I have never liked bearing buddies due to the spring that squeezes all the grease out the inside of the hub and you have to deal with that fabulous grease gun.

I have a couple of the turbo lube hubs and will eventually change all of mine to this system. It uses oil and is completely sealed...and no grease gun.

4. pursuit25

pursuit25 I Love microskiff.com!

I was also told not to put on bearing buddies by a trailer co.rep.With the rubber boot you can easily check your grease, bearing buddies you cant.

5. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Leave the zerk fitting, unless it leaks grease when you pump the hub full.
    Install whatever brand cap that makes you happy.
    I don't launch the trailer, as a result no problems with water in the hub.
    Regular maintenance is the big thing with bearings.

Buddies style also come in see through for easy visual inspection

Lots of on-line chatter regarding oil bath vs grease hubs

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=grease+or+oil+bath+hubs&aq=&aqi=&oq=&fp=6b22d27f49a5e7dd

6. Taterides

Taterides Well-Known Member

Curious to know the reasons as well. With all I have seen the zerk system is in many ways superior.

7. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Like I said, regular maintenance, no matter what type of hub used.

8. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Probably the main reason is I'm familiar with the bearing buddy system, having put them on a lot of trailers in the past. Have not had issues with them and I like the positive pressure with the spring.

Westy's post makes a good point though; it's very easy to check the grease with this rubber cap.

Maybe it's best left as is...?

9. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

If you have the style I think you have... KEEP EM! As you pump grease into them it pushed old grease out. I'm not a fan of BB's.

Cheers
    Capt.

10. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

Why not have the best of both worlds. The "posi-Lube" hub design (the zerk fitting introduces the grease between the bearings) is a great way to fill the hub with grease where it needs to go. The Bearing Buddy provides pressure on the grease, AND a means of relief (or escapment) for an overload of grease that may expand with heat and blow a seal without it.
    What might work is to grease hub through the zerk, remove it and store it in tool box, then install the Bearing Buddys and pressurize the hub. I think I will try this next time in order to find if the Posi-Lube hub is compatable with one of the sizes of bearing buddys.

The bearing Buddy company bought Spindo-Seal and has them for 5 different sizes of hubs. They are a lifesaver for axles with rusted and pitted areas where the inside seal must ride.

Best regards,
    Frank_S