Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Converting to a swing tongue trailer

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  btomas 
#1 ·
I have a fixed tongue magic tilt trailer for my 16 ft boat. It fits in the garage with barely any room to spare. I found a swing tounge attachement for 70 dollars. It looks good. I was considering having it welded on instead of bolted but I talked to a trailer guy and he said rust will start on my trailer because it is hot dip galvanized.

Has anyone done this conversion. Do you know if the rust will be substantial or can I reduce it with some spray on? I need to do this so any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Any time I drill holes in a galvanized trailer
I apply a cold galvanized spray to the raw steel.
It seems to hold the rust to a minimum.
Also the fact I don't launch my trailer,
may have something to do with it.

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=36

#7 ·
Cast iron is a trick to weld let alone to another steel. You would have to use nickel or braze it. (Unless things have changed in the past few years.)

I think the bolts would be a stronger hold. I would through bolt it.
Definitely what he said.

#8 ·
I would bolt it. Welding to cast iron can be done with the correct electrode but it is a bear to do. Hot galvanizing is the better option. If you do cut drill into the metal the cold galvanization sprays are about the best thing you can do short of re-dipping the trailer or parts of it. Make sure the metal is super clean so you get a good bond. Now as far as rust in that spot is concerned, I have never dunked my trailer that far up, the ramps I visit would require dunking the axle on my truck to do that. I try to keep the tires dry on the truck. I'd spray it after cutting and again once the bolts are set. Just inspect well a couple of times a year and grind and touch up as needed.

Swamp

#12 ·
We did the Fulton bolt on conversion a few months ago and were surprised how easy the install went.  Nice and clean. Used a sawzall type saw with metal cutting blade to cut the tongue and a new  drill bit to make the drilling easy.  All the bolts are thru-bolted though it is not really evident in the pictures.  A quick search on FULTON FOLD AWAY HINGE KITS will turn up numerous sizes and options on where to buy.   Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.