Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Which Console type

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
BBA Counselor
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been struggling on what to do about my console. I've seen so many different styles, some look functional, but looks can be deceiving. I'm a tall guy at 6'3" and I'm looking for a sit/stand console. I stand most of the time, but on long cruises I'll sit on a tall or elevated cooler. I've been on plenty of boats with consoles that were never made for standing, and I hate being hunched over, so no mater what it will be built a bit tall.

Here are the styles I'm thinking about building. I'll change the dimensions later if needed. What would you vote for?:

Console A https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/, on Flickr

Console B https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/, on Flickr

Console C https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/, on Flickr

·
I Love microskiff.com!
4,545 Posts
I've been struggling on what to do about my console. I've seen so many different styles, some look functional, but looks can be deceiving. I'm a tall guy at 6'3" and I'm looking for a sit/stand console. I stand most of the time, but on long cruises I'll sit on a tall or elevated cooler. I've been on plenty of boats with consoles that were never made for standing, and I hate being hunched over, so no mater what it will be built a bit tall.

Here are the styles I'm thinking about building. I'll change the dimensions later if needed. What would you vote for?:

Console A , on Flickr

Console B , on Flickr

Console C , on Flickr
The Autism is strong in you...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
4,545 Posts
A -because you can put your flush mount cup holders in the small flat area up top. I agree c looks way to old school.
Exactly the point I was making. I too have a shot record the size of a phone book.

·
BBA Counselor
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no idea what you think your point is, or what that has to do with the topic.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Firecat1981....Since joining this forum I’ve found that the vast majority of folks here are really helpful in offering advice.....still....there’s usually someone that chimes in with nothing to add. I guess it’s the cost of participating on message boards. Of course responses like these deter others from participating. I just ignore these folks.

I’m no expert but I believe you can get tilt steering at a reasonable cost. I’m having a skiff built with the console “A” design you’ve mentioned.....with tilt steering. I believe it will be the best compromise for me (I’m 6’ 1”) allowing me to both stand and sit while steering.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
4,545 Posts
I have no idea what you think your point is, or what that has to do with the topic.
I was diagnosed as being a problematical child. It turned out ok when I started running Calc in 7th grade and reciting old poetry in Gaelic. It was a joke. And one with background. Get a tilt wheel and keep it awesome.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,138 Posts
I vote B. It has the classic Hewes look to it, but I'd flatten the last 4" fwd or so so you can have stuff mounted flat if you want, cup holders, small compass etc.

·
BBA Counselor
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A tilt wheel is out. I couldn't find a rotay nfb system with tilt, so I bought one without it.

I'm not opposed to changing the basic designs.

My initial thoughts are from the boats I've been on that A is good for sitting, B is great for docking and tight areas, and C is better for standing long term. I know C is less esthetically pleasing, looking like an old whaler or something, but I've always been a function over form kinda guy. However if A or B are built taller they might be just as comfy. Keep the opinions, on the consoles, coming guys.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
How about a, with the raised puck look that's at a angle under the wheel so the wheel it a little flatter. Like how the wheel sits on b

·
I Love microskiff.com!
4,545 Posts
What ever 'le faguette' - I made ample explanation for my comment to the op. I have absolutely not a bad thing to say as he seems a good guy to me and quite frankly he seems like a great outdoors-MAN. If he chooses to engage me in private I am perfectly happy to discuss. A bad joke, maybe. No harm intended and Mind the le femme inverted penal virtue signaling. Firecat ain't a puss, he chases fires.

·
Registered
642 Posts
What ever 'le faguette' - I made ample explanation for my comment to the op. I have absolutely not a bad thing to say as he seems a good guy to me and quite frankly he seems like a great outdoors-MAN. If he chooses to engage me in private I am perfectly happy to discuss. A bad joke, maybe. No harm intended and Mind the le femme inverted penal virtue signaling. Firecat ain't a puss, he chases fires.
OK

·
I Love microskiff.com!
4,545 Posts
That is precisely what I wish I had. Functionality and room.

·
Registered
459 Posts
What "What's His Name" said up there, get a tilt wheel and match the console to it. Some as little as $138.00. American. Makes a heck of a difference.

·
Registered
205 Posts
B with a tilt wheel. I know you said you can't find one but, they make them trust me. Give seastar a call, they are fabulous people to work with. Heck they will probably trade you helms for the difference in $!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts