Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really enjoying this forum. I thought I would confess the fact that I do not presently own a boat. I share this in order to bring up my interesting perspective on boat ownership and successfully fishing.
First off, I love boats, especially technical poling skiffs. I get to spend quite a bit of time in one every year. But, for the last several years, The skiffs that I fish out of are not my own.
I have come to the conclusion that at this point in my life it is not wise or efficient for me to own a skiff. Although I have some time to fish, I do not think I have time to maintain a boat.
In addition, I do not have time to scout spots to fish; I enjoy the process of learning areas and accumulating the knowledge necessary to successful fishing, but my kids do not enjoy this process (they enjoy catching fish).
Therefore I choose to use guides.
1- I have a good friend who is the best guide on the Texas coast (I know this can be argued).
I choose to support him and in turn he does all the peripheral work. He knows that I enjoy the whole process, so he teaches me about every aspect of guiding. He knows that I want a boat and that eventually will have another one. He is free with info as varied as fishing spots, treacherous areas, running shorelines, boat positioning, tactics for various anglers, and why ties certain flies for certain anglers ( he critics my flies as well). This has been a priceless education. It has been as if he were training a new young guide that will soon branch out on his own. I also know that he probably only guide for 6-10 more years; by that time I will have a boat and really know the water and fishery (I already know quite a bit). We have been trying to catch world record redfish on 4lbs and 12 lbs tippet. One of his clients has the 8 lbs record.
We discuss very technical aspects of this specific endeavor. Long story short, it has been an absolute blast. I would never get this if I was fishing my own skiff.

2- I feel more free to fish other areas like Belize, Mexico, and the Keys. I love Tarpon and Permit!

I will own another boat at some point (I have been doing some research)but for now, I am truly enjoy being a client to guides.
I thought it would be fun to discuss these concept on here; let me know what you think, and I am very willing to empart any knowledge that I have gained.

Tight lines
Mike

If this is in the wrong section please move it.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Hey Mike,

Nice post.... My guide friends in POC and Seadrift say the same thing to me.... they run the calculations of X number of days paying their guide services vs the money spent on a skiff ... I am in a similar position as you with work and family obligations, but.... my schedule is totally unpredictable as is the weather... I can't book guides far enough in advance... I really get a thrill out of learning the game myself, even if that means finding less fish than I would with a guide ... I also generally would rather get on and off the water later than guides.... I have as much fun poling and spotting as fishing... you reached out to me already--- let's fish the Coast soon...

Best,

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hey Mike,

Nice post.... My guide friends in POC and Seadrift say the same thing to me.... they run the calculations of X number of days paying their guide services vs the money spent on a skiff ... I am in a similar position as you with work and family obligations, but.... my schedule is totally unpredictable as is the weather... I can't book guides far enough in advance... I really get a thrill out of learning the game myself, even if that means finding less fish than I would with a guide ... I also generally would rather get on and off the water later than guides.... I have as much fun poling and spotting as fishing... you reached out to me already--- let's fish the Coast soon...

Best,
Exact combination of unpredictable schedule and weather that made booking guides for me difficult. Might not be financially sound but given that I fish twice a month, I am probably close enough. At least that’s what I tell my wife

But Mike’s logic is pretty sound and If it makes sense for you to do what you like, then all th best!

I have found personally that fly fishing has become much more than the day on the water thru learning the fishing, fly tying and now boat handling. Maybe the next adventure is rod building .... or boat building (probably not any time soon).

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...fishing with guides, fishing for faraway species, and owning a skiff are not mutually exclusive :)
I agree, but I just do not have the time to run my own boat or have the money for all of it.

Hey Mike,

Best,
Steve,
I am sure I would enjoy that immensely. I can usually work around your schedule.

BTW, I am going tomorrow; 2 mph wind from 10am-4pm some clouds but very workable.
Hopefully I will find that 50lbs fish. Thanks guys for your thoughtful replies.

Mike

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Maybe I should sell. And pay for a friend for a day(guide). My old fishing buddy hardly goes and nobody else wants to pole. So I either play guide for free or drift/stake off and pole some myself.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Maybe I should sell. And pay for a friend for a day(guide). My old fishing buddy hardly goes and nobody else wants to pole. So I either play guide for free or drift/stake off and pole some myself.[/QUOTE

I want to fish as much as I can in as many places as possible before that happens to me....

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
This is kind if off but it is very similar. When I was younger, I thought the more toys I had, the more fun I would have. But what i have found is basically like you. I really only have the time to use one of my toys on a regular basis. So I gave our 32' sailboat to my oldest son. He still keeps it in a slip at my house and maintains it. I got rid of my paddle boards. Now I am down to my skiff and a little one man sailboat called a Laser. It lets me get out quickly when I want to sail. MY skiff is in the lift behind my house. I work from home. Just today, I lowered the boat at 11 AM and my neighbor and I went out for a couple of hours and we took some shots at reds. I find I use my skiff 10-1 over my sailboat, mainly because of convenience. I love sailing and I'll never give it up. Some of my fondest memories are cruising through the Bahamas pulling a skiff. But right now, I really only have time for one thing. And I fish that skiff about 8- 12 times a month

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A great plan if you have a friends and family price plan. If I spent $ 1000-1500 a month on guides I would be in divorce court.
If I spent $50k on a boat and was constantly maintaining it and had a $250 slip my wife would not be happy. One trip to the keys is $4-5,000 one to the Seychelles is $12,000 so $1,000 or so a month is not bad for something you really enjoy and have the money for. I am also supporting someone I care about.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is kind if off but it is very similar. When I was younger, I thought the more toys I had, the more fun I would have. But what i have found is basically like you. I really only have the time to use one of my toys on a regular basis. So I gave our 32' sailboat to my oldest son. He still keeps it in a slip at my house and maintains it. I got rid of my paddle boards. Now I am down to my skiff and a little one man sailboat called a Laser. It lets me get out quickly when I want to sail. MY skiff is in the lift behind my house. I work from home. Just today, I lowered the boat at 11 AM and my neighbor and I went out for a couple of hours and we took some shots at reds. I find I use my skiff 10-1 over my sailboat, mainly because of convenience. I love sailing and I'll never give it up. Some of my fondest memories are cruising through the Bahamas pulling a skiff. But right now, I really only have time for one thing. And I fish that skiff about 8- 12 times a month
@Padre, I want to be like you when I grow up
Steve, I was thinking the same thing when I read this post. I want to fish 8-12 times a month.
If I lived on Padre Island or somewhere else on the coast, I probably would.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts