Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting a Conchfish build with my son, its really his build, I'm a General Contractor, I have some good skill sets with wood construction but not a lot with fiberglass ,composite and epoxy resins. I reached out to CM on what would be the best brands of material to use, he suggested we try on this forum. My son has the stations cut out and would soon be ready to begin stripping. He wants to use epoxy over core, any help on material selection will appreciated.

Thanks Craig

·
BBA Counselor
7,230 Posts
If you are in florida, I've been buying supplies from FGCI for years and am a big fan of their 2:1 laminating resin. It's very forgiving and gives you consistently good work time. They have most of the other goodies you need as they supply a lot to many of the boat builders through the state.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
There are several full build threads on here and the guys are very responsive to questions, especially Morejohn. I may do a build in a couple of years and have been making notes.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Conchfish 16
I used 9 sheets. Carbon core pvc 3/4” would work great you would have to modify the plans a bit to use 3/4” on the chines.
Boat builders supply marine epoxy worked for me 18 gallons slow hardner
80yrds 10oz eglass
12lbs 3m glass balloons
2lbs silica
1lb milled glass for fairing the bow

·
Registered
609 Posts
First, never take my opinion over Sethsawyer’s, followed by anyone else.

That said, I’m using CarbonCore 3/4” PE foam: http://www.carbon-core.com/product/pe-structural-foam-sheets/

I’m using USComposites slow epoxy resin and have been using their fairing compound as well. As the cooler months approach I might need to switch to a faster resin, keep this in mind. I bought all my fiberglass and most of my supplies from USComposites. I’d actually like to find an out of state (I’m in Florida) provider just to save on sales tax, but the service and prices have been quite good.

I’m still debating paint, but will probably roll & tip Awlgrip, for primer I bought a gallon of System Three Epoxy.

·
Registered
678 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you are in florida, I've been buying supplies from FGCI for years and am a big fan of their 2:1 laminating resin. It's very forgiving and gives you consistently good work time. They have most of the other goodies you need as they supply a lot to many of the boat builders through the state.
Yes we are in FL., Ponce Inlet , thanks for advice

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Conchfish 16
I used 9 sheets. Carbon core pvc 3/4” would work great you would have to modify the plans a bit to use 3/4” on the chines.
Boat builders supply marine epoxy worked for me 18 gallons slow hardner
80yrds 10oz eglass
12lbs 3m glass balloons
2lbs silica
1lb milled glass for fairing the bow
Thanks

·
I Love microskiff.com!
134 Posts
I’m using the carbon core foam I got from discount fiberglass in Tampa ( great prices and 15 minutes from my house. ) going to order raka epoxy with non blushing hardner. I used it on one of my wood kayaks and wood paddle board,easy to work with and price was right

·
Registered
1,925 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Best of luck on your build,

I will be keeping an eye on this. I will be building a 16 “Chris Morejohn” inspired foam core skiff in the not to distant future. I’m mocking up a scale model now to find the hull shape I like. Have you made your mind up on epoxy reason? Lost of hulls are laid up with polyester and vinyl ester resin, all have they advantages and disadvantages.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Best of luck on your build,

I will be keeping an eye on this. I will be building a 16 “Chris Morejohn” inspired foam core skiff in the not to distant future. I’m mocking up a scale model now to find the hull shape I like. Have you made your mind up on epoxy reason? Lost of hulls are laid up with polyester and vinyl ester resin, all have they advantages and disadvantages.
I don't have a super bunch of experience in either, small boat repairs 30yrs ago with polyester, some epoxy with surfboard repair, feel epoxy is a better product, I know the fumes of both are bad news, but build is in a garage and my son lives above,so epoxy will be less lingering odor also.

·
BBA Counselor
7,230 Posts
Epoxy should have little to no odor or VOC's. It's also stronger and more water resistant then poly or vinyl.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't have a super bunch of experience in either, small boat repairs 30yrs ago with polyester, some epoxy with surfboard repair, feel epoxy is a better product, I know the fumes of both are bad news, but build is in a garage and my son lives above,so epoxy will be less lingering odor also.

No doubt epoxy resin is structurally stronger than polyester or vinyl ester. Cost is a factor but not a major factor in a small build like this. One of the advantages with epoxy is you don’t have to catalyze it with MEK like you do with poly and vinyl, it’s usually a two part 1 to 1 or 5 to 1 ratio. For me one of the biggest downsides with epoxy is, you have limited working time and once it sets up you cant laminate on top of it without sanding it, and sanding fiberglass sucks…:D

If you’re doing multiple layups vinyl ester is pretty good stuff, its kind of a hybrid between epoxy and polyester you just have to be really careful because it has a very short shelf life, like 30 days from the day it was made…

·
I Love microskiff.com!
27 Posts
I'm starting a Conchfish build with my son, its really his build, I'm a General Contractor, I have some good skill sets with wood construction but not a lot with fiberglass ,composite and epoxy resins. I reached out to CM on what would be the best brands of material to use, he suggested we try on this forum. My son has the stations cut out and would soon be ready to begin stripping. He wants to use epoxy over core, any help on material selection will appreciated.

Thanks Craig
Good Luck. I wish I could build one myself but am sure from past experiences in my garage I would end up in urgent care...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts