Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the beginning of my very slow conchfish 16 build. I got the plan a few weeks ago, cut out the forms, got some carbon core and ripped down two sheets into 2” strips. Slow because I have a ft job, a 6.5 year old and a wife that works 60+ hours a week, and a husk.
I’m giving myself a year. Hopefully less. Plan is raka epoxy, 25 Yamaha 4 stroke and to finish this. I bought four sheets of 3/4 and two 1/2” from Jesus in Tampa. I’m in clearwater. Great prices. Cut the carbon core down so it would fit in my wagon. Jesus is darn near the nicest guy.

Attachments

G

·
He is around 50 miles from me and I make the drive! I like dealing with and supporting small businesses. He is also very knowledgeable of the products he sells and has been in the industry a long time!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can't possibly be using pink...take that shiz back!

Look forward to watching.

If you need help Boatbrains will be on here...lord knows he's not working on his ;)
No no, the pink is Home Depot foam I use for cutting with thr jigsaw. Prevents blowout on the back of material. The carbon core is straw colored. Lol

·
I Love microskiff.com!
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More progress. Strongback built, leveled and most of the forms installed. Not bad for a days work. Need to install form 10 and the stern forms. Maybe tomorrow

Attachments

·
I Love microskiff.com!
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A few strips laid down, also installed the top edge mold( not sure of the term- mdf to make the top edge flare out).
I Gotta say that I love working with this phone. I’ve built some wood strip kayaks and paddle boards before and while cedar is nice to work with this film is absolutely lovely. I completely botched some measurements on the spray rails and wasted a little bit of the half inch that I bought. However I am building them with 2 inch strips now and it was very easy. I’ll work on th other side tomorrow while the kiddo and wife are at kickboxing.

Attachments

·
I Love microskiff.com!
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kid is asleep, wife is at The Who concert, dog is chilling with me while I get close to done with the foam strips. I have to figure out the transition where the spray rail meets to bottom. Gotta look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow or Tuesday. So far so good though. To get to this point it was 3.25 sheets of 3/4” and one sheet of 1/2 ( which includes my botched measurements on the spray rails. Ended up making them from 2” strips of 1/2” thick foam. Just shy of two bottles of gorilla glue (18oz) and a crapton if 1-1/4” drywall screws. And a few razor blades. Was supposed at how fast the razor blades filled out from cutting the foam.

Attachments

·
I Love microskiff.com!
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took the day off work while the AC people were replacing the ductwork in my house and I got the conchfish sanded and all of the screws removed. I ordered my epoxy and cloth and fillers from Raka today so hopefully I will have them by the end of the week and can putty some holes and maybe measure out some glass this weekend. The foam is so nice to work with.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 82 Posts