Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone ballpark cost of this build for me? Just materials I’ll supply the labor, trailer, motor.

If additional info is needed please let me know.

Thanks!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
204 Posts
As I am sure you know, there are a plethora of options and paths you can go down that all influence total cost in different ways. For a basic budgetary number: my CF17.5 will be close to $8000 without the motor and trailer. That is everything from resin, hatch gaskets, GPS, power pole, hinges, casting platform, JP, all lights, electrical switches, fuel tank, etc. Just the hull alone is around $4000.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I am sure you know, there are a plethora of options and paths you can go down that all influence total cost in different ways. For a basic budgetary number: my CF17.5 will be close to $8000 without the motor and trailer. That is everything from resin, hatch gaskets, GPS, power pole, hinges, casting platform, JP, all lights, electrical switches, fuel tank, etc. Just the hull alone is around $4000.
Thanks! Just wondering what ballpark hull cost would be.

·
Brandon, FL
10,976 Posts
Read the threads on this hull. There is one guy listing all of his time and his running total cost.

Can't remember which one it is though.

Read on grasshopper.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Mine is kinda the ‘what if a Googan tried to build one?’ build, a cross between a cautionary tale and a cry for help.

That said, it’s sooooooooo cool watching my very own boat come to life in my yard. And I will catch fish out of that boat... if it floats.

Also, nobody told me there would be sanding involved.

·
Brandon, FL
10,976 Posts
"Also, nobody told me there would be sanding involved."

Come look at my Gheenoe if you want to see what 60 grit and a quick pass with 120 will get you. My entire boat is non skid.
Sand in one spot for 30 seconds and you will be learning glass repair real quick.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I apologize in advance but I've been around boats all my life. Not flats boats and skiffs though. I have to know what makes a production 17' +/- fiberglass skiff cost 40-50 grand? I'm not trying to offend, just ignorant I guess.

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
I apologize in advance but I've been around boats all my life. Not flats boats and skiffs though. I have to know what makes a production 17' +/- fiberglass skiff cost 40-50 grand? I'm not trying to offend, just ignorant I guess.
Not everyone has time or can make time to build one and not everyone has the skills, tools, space etc.
i will build one one day.

·
Registered
609 Posts
You’re not offending anyone. It really is a virus, I think, building your own boat and you get out of it what you put in kinda... sometimes less because we do not all have the same skill level and equal resources. Having an indoor work area would be a nice start, double better if you can get the hull outside when the real sanding starts.

My first guess is closer to 500 man hours and five thousand dollars will get me a 16’ poling skiff that I will be proud of. I bet Travis or Boatbrains could have a similar boat in under 300 hours and at least a thousand less.

And since it really is your custom boat, you will start dreaming and scheming of all the little touches that will make your skiff unique, most of those dreams will add time and money (and if you are like me a few will be silly, bordering on stupid).

I would encourage you to ‘come this way.’ I would also warn you that building a boat is both satisfying and enjoyable but is not fun (you know, like feeding then fighting a big fish then getting liquored up and talking about it is ‘fun’. Yeah, it’s not that at all).

·
Brandon, FL
10,976 Posts
Shop -$$$
Payroll - $$$
Taxes - $$$
Advertising - $$$
Prostaff - $$$
Insurance - $$$$$$$

Boats are made from raw materials that are commoditized and everyone uses. Some materials cost more than others, some less, but they all use basically the same stuff. Where the cost really comes in is when they use fancy materials like carbon or kevlar.

Then it is up to the marketing department to make everyone believe you have built a boat that warrants the kind of price the builder is asking. The time spent on the fine details cost a lot of money.

Remember this, the last 10% takes 90% of the time. This is where most builders skimp to get it out the door.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
@jglidden is representative. I'm hoping to be all in for $11,500. That is hull, poling platform, new 30 horse Twatsu, trim tabs, trailer, nice prop, no gps, basic lighting. A friend gave me his Ramlin from under his HB. I plan on spending around $750 getting it spruced up.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
495 Posts
Shop -$$$
Payroll - $$$
Taxes - $$$
Advertising - $$$
Prostaff - $$$
Insurance - $$$$$$$

Boats are made from raw materials that are commoditized and everyone uses. Some materials cost more than others, some less, but they all use basically the same stuff. Where the cost really comes in is when they use fancy materials like carbon or kevlar.

Then it is up to the marketing department to make everyone believe you have built a boat that warrants the kind of price the builder is asking. The time spent on the fine details cost a lot of money.

Remember this, the last 10% takes 90% of the time. This is where most builders skimp to get it out the door.
Carbon fiber is not that much more expensive than fiberglass

1 - 20 of 27 Posts